FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean go fuse box

My VIN:    5791

Delorean go fuse box

I bought the fuse block from DeLorean go. I was reading through the instructions and it mentions to "assess and diagnose your electrical system by determining which fuses currently work and which do not" by using a test light or volt meter. The instructions tell you to go to www.deloreans.com for a data sheet. I don't think that is an active URL anymore? It just takes you to a online magazine website.

Am I just checking for 12 volts at each fuse terminal? How exactly do I accomplish this? I have a volt meter, but I would just like to know exactly how I am supposed to do this to get accurate readings in this specific instance with the fuse block. I want to make sure every fuse has power before I go and replace the entire fuse block.

Electrical testing will be the bane of my existence. Layman's terms please.

Thank you.

My VIN:    4519

Testing fuses while in a fuse box position:

Post a pic of your "voltmeter" dial for layman's terms, but taking a guess at what you're working with....

With a "voltmeter" set to Vdc, touch the black lead to a ground point (black cable of the battery should work,) red lead to each "side" (on the top) of a fuse. If the fuse is good and has power to it, the needle on your meter should move to the 12V position on both sides of the fuse.

Testing fuses while OUT of fuse box:

With a "voltmeter" set to Ohms:

Black lead on one side (of the top,) red lead on the other.....needle should move, measuring resistance. If the needle doesn't move, the fuse is "open" (blown fuse.) You should also be able to see it by looking at the side....it's usually obvious to see it's "burned open."
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 12-07-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Testing fuses while in a fuse box position:

Post a pic of your "voltmeter" dial for layman's terms, but taking a guess at what you're working with....

With a "voltmeter" set to Vdc, touch the black lead to a ground point (black cable of the battery should work,) red lead to each "side" (on the top) of a fuse. If the fuse is good and has power to it, the needle on your meter should move to the 12V position on both sides of the fuse.

Testing fuses while OUT of fuse box:

With a "voltmeter" set to Ohms:

Black lead on one side (of the top,) red lead on the other.....needle should move, measuring resistance. If the needle doesn't move, the fuse is "open" (blown fuse.) You should also be able to see it by looking at the side....it's usually obvious to see it's "burned open."

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for and not how I would have tired to accomplish that without asking. This is my volt meter.

volt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-D View Post
    Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for and not how I would have tired to accomplish that without asking. This is my volt meter.

volt.jpg
    I just noticed the URL; it should be delorean.com....not deloreans.com.

This is probably the URL you want, but I don't think it's enough detail for what you're asking: http://support.delorean.com/KB/browse.aspx

There are electrical engineers here..I'm expecting they'll jump in soon. If not, I'll help with the meter you have. In the meantime, Vdc is the dial position that has a "V" with a straight and dashed line under it.

Ohms is the dial position that has a horseshoe-looking symbol, with a "K" following whatever number your meter has.

BTW....your meter measures Ohms, Volts (AC/DC,) and Amperage. It's a multimeter.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 12-07-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I just noticed the URL; it should be delorean.com....not deloreans.com.

This is probably the URL you want, but I don't think it's enough detail for what you're asking: http://support.delorean.com/KB/browse.aspx

There are electrical engineers here..I'm expecting they'll jump in soon. If not, I'll help with the meter you have.

When I was testing for 12v at the door light sockets I was using the 750v selection on the left side. Seemed to work out since I got them working. The instructions that come with the meter are surprisingly bad.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Delorean go fuse box

Do you have any reason to believe some of your circuits don’t work?

If you just want to determine if all the fuses are getting power, just turn the key to the Run position. Take your volt meter and set it on 1000V scale ( 3 o’clock) right side. Take the black lead and put it on the Neg battery terminal, then proceed with the red probe and touch the metal contacts on the top of each fuse. Be sure to touch both contacts on each fuse. If a fuse only has power on one contact, it is blown. Make notes of any fuses that don’t have power and report back with results.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 12-07-2019 at 12:59 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I kept editing my post....sorry, probably need to reread it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Do you have any reason to believe some of your circuits don’t work?

If you just want to determine if all the fuses are getting power, just turn the key to the Run position. Take your volt meter and set it on 1000V scale ( 3 o’clock) right side. Take the black lead and put it on the Neg battery terminal, then proceed with the red probe and touch the metal contacts on the top of each fuse. Be sure to touch both contacts on each fuse. If a fuse only has power on one contact, it is blown. Make notes of any fuses that don’t have power and report back with results.

I can visibly tell all of the fuses are not blown ( the little metal piece in the center of them). When I hook the battery up and turn the key to power....only the battery light (on the dash), door lights, clock, and radio show activity. I can hear something clicking from relay area as well. I am not sure what dash lights should light up with key to power on normally.

However.....when I hook up the battery. The door lights do not turn on until I pull the fuse then reinstall it.

I will test each fuse separately tomorrow morning.

My VIN:    03572

You would need the key turned all the way on to get power to all the fuse block. Don't know why you need to test what is not working before replacing the fuse block. I guess in a rare failure that would save you a terminal if you had to replace a broken wire.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1 Dave.
    The only other reason I can think of is so you know that you you caused a new problem during installation...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-D View Post
    However.....when I hook up the battery. The door lights do not turn on until I pull the fuse then reinstall it.
    The door light fuse (#12) should always be hot (12V+ both sides) regardless of the key position. So with the key on or off, when you open either door, its lights should come on. And the interior lights may come on, depending on what mode their individual switch is set to (always on/always off/off after delay). If the door lights only come on when you pull and reinstall the same fuse, it is probably a bad connection at the fuse's socket (terminal pushed down in the socket, dirty connection, broke wire on either side of the fuse, and rarely a flaky fuse). It would be odd if it didn't do this intermittently....
    How do the interior lights act?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast