FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLoreanGo rear UK Fog light mod.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

DeLoreanGo rear UK Fog light mod.

Added the rear UK fog light mod to 11035. Love how it looks and will make my daily driven De a bit more safe in inclement conditions. Alway added my own tell tale light for when its activated in a trick way and all switched using DMC's on and off switches for a totally stock look! I also have a video of it on my facebook.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

What exactly are fog lights, as the UK defines them? It seems like taillights that are on even when the headlights are not?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    What exactly are fog lights, as the UK defines them? It seems like taillights that are on even when the headlights are not?
    A UK fog light is basically one brake light that is illuminated so people can see you from the rear on low visibility conditions. Some vehicles have a dedicated rear fog light (which is red as well) in the bumper but most cars are integrated into the brake light assembly.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

In the 80s a rear fog light was a separate light that was at or below the rear bumper height, the intent being that it could be seen in fog which settles a foot or two above the road rendering normal tail lights hard to see.

It’s also brake light brightness rather than tail light brightness again to help a following driver see the car in front sooner.

In more recent times it is often integrated into the main rear cluster but that creates a problem that when illuminated during Normal driving, it can make the operation of the brake lights less distinct.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

I know this is not the most accurate and correct way but it beats having a light hang below the rear bumper or designing an entirely new rear tail light assembly. I got this kit from DeLorean Go and the only thing I did different from the kit was install my only custom tell tale light into the gauges and a DMC-MW on/off switch. Honestly I like it. I have been noticing also that some have 2 lamps as a rear fog light. Also this car is a daily driver and I drive it in all conditions except for snow. I live in the mountains of WV so we can get alot of fog in areas so I wanted to be seen better plus add a "what if" rear fog light feature and make it look stock aswell.

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

I like it, I admire your bravery for drilling the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    I like it, I admire your bravery for drilling the dash.
    Hahaha thanks man! Yeah I'd rather do my cut out my bumper letters again than do the gauges. That was nerve racking lol

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I know this is not the most accurate and correct way but it beats having a light hang below the rear bumper or designing an entirely new rear tail light assembly. I got this kit from DeLorean Go and the only thing I did different from the kit was install my only custom tell tale light into the gauges and a DMC-MW on/off switch. Honestly I like it. I have been noticing also that some have 2 lamps as a rear fog light. Also this car is a daily driver and I drive it in all conditions except for snow. I live in the mountains of WV so we can get alot of fog in areas so I wanted to be seen better plus add a "what if" rear fog light feature and make it look stock aswell.

Not intended as a criticism of your work Christian. Just a brief historical review.

Cars that are imported to the UK from the US must have a fog light added (as the UK is an island nation, fog is a common occurrence in many areas) and the simplest was is an after marked one hanging under the rear bumper. This gets the car through the MOT and is often removed right after as it is pretty ugly. And then re-installed the following year. Inventive owners came up with the mod that you used to preserve the look.

For the reasons listed above, when the fog light is integral to the main cluster, it seems normal with OEM newer cars to only have it one one side to reduce any delay in reaction time from following drivers when your brake light is illuminated.

My modern german import cars all have an empty socket on the LH cluster, where the fog light would be in the fatherland. Simply adding a bulb and changing the headlight switch to a "euro" one with a "Rear Fog" selection, makes it work. Not sure why it is disabled for US bound cars.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Not intended as a criticism of your work Christian. Just a brief historical review.

Cars that are imported to the UK from the US must have a fog light added (as the UK is an island nation, fog is a common occurrence in many areas) and the simplest was is an after marked one hanging under the rear bumper. This gets the car through the MOT and is often removed right after as it is pretty ugly. And then re-installed the following year. Inventive owners came up with the mod that you used to preserve the look.

For the reasons listed above, when the fog light is integral to the main cluster, it seems normal with OEM newer cars to only have it one one side to reduce any delay in reaction time from following drivers when your brake light is illuminated.

My modern german import cars all have an empty socket on the LH cluster, where the fog light would be in the fatherland. Simply adding a bulb and changing the headlight switch to a "euro" one with a "Rear Fog" selection, makes it work. Not sure why it is disabled for US bound cars.
    I know I was not being criticized at all and I do understand how the MOT works for the most part and studied it some and technically this is not a accurate way of doing it for a DeLorean. I like the kit from DeLoreanGo. Honestly I don't know if anybody else has ever installed this kit for a car that does have to go through MOT inspection and if anything came upon how its set up. I like having it on my car and have a touch of euro style and the what if factor. My friends 84 XJS-HE Jaguar has the car set up for it but technically not equipped with making it function. Even the bulb from 1984 is still in there.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Here are the current UK regs on the rear fog light requirement.

4.5 Front and rear fog lamps
    4.5.1 Presence, condition and operation
    You only need to inspect:

The 1 rear fog lamp which must be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

Front and rear fog lamps are permitted to operate independently of any other lamps or ignition systems.

Fog lamps must produce a steady light which is:

red – for rear fog lamps
    Rear fog lamps may be combined with the rear position lamps.

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

4.9 ‘Tell-tales’ mandatory for lighting equipment'
    4.9.1 Presence, condition and operation
    You must inspect the following lighting ‘tell-tales’:

rear fog lamps

A rear fog ‘tell-tale’ is only required where a rear fog lamp is mandatory.
    The modification doesn't specifically follow those regs in that it converts two lamps to function as rear fog lights, however for the purposes of the test only one is required on the offside of the vehicle.
    I was also not aware that the lamps were permitted to function independently of the headlights. If I recall correctly when following the guide provided with the kit, the fog lights will only function when the headlights are on (second press on the headlight switch). On most modern vehicles the sidelight/marker lights need to be turned on in order to turn on the fog lights - this could be replicated on the DeLorean by using the positive feed to the rheostat to provide power to the fog light switch rather than the feed from the headlight relay. (I probably wouldn't do this though unless running all LED lamps and/or have the headlight switch saver relay mod fitted)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I fully agree, an aftermarket fog lamp hanging under the back of the car looks ugly I used to fit an aftermarket fog lamp for the annual test and then remove it again until the following year. Thankfully with this mod that is no longer a problem.

The other method which has also been used in the UK for many years, was to permanently disable the inner set of brake lights so that they only ever function as fog lights.

FWIW I've had the DeLoreanGo fog light mod fitted for 4+ years, nothing about it has ever flagged up in the annual test.
    Attached Images
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast