FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pull Engine and tear down?

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Nice summary, I'm going to do this with 4519 before I get too deep into rebuilding the fuel system.
    Same here. My fuel distributor has a plunger I have not been able to unstick but wanted to deal with the engine before putting more money out. Once I get my battery charged, I'll let you know how it all goes. Hopefully my HF oil pressure kit has a fitting that will work.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Try some Acetone to get it loose. If the plunger is stuck you probably need to send the injectors out to be cleaned and tested, they are probably also gummed up inside. The parts inside the fuel tank are also usually all messed up. The nylon parts can be cleaned up, and the tank wiped clean, you usually wind up replacing the rubber boots, pick-up hose, and fuel pump.
    David Teitelbaum

When I "unstuck" mine several years ago, I worked acetone into it for about 7 days before it finally let loose. Resist the urge to grab a pair of pliers and try to force the plunger.

David's other pointers are (as usual) spot on. Injectors should be cleaned, and tank should be cleaned including replacing boots, fuel filter, removing and cleaning baffle. Best of luck getting it running again! A few sweat equity hours on making sure the fuel system is clean will save you hours in the future versus letting bad/gummed up gas flow through the system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2