FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AVO Shocks or Coil Over?

My VIN:    10644

I bought the AVO shocks from DMC Midwest. Nice folks there, if you value that sort of thing. The rears are height adjustable and I’ve got it sitting just right. I did the work in my very small garage. It was nice not having to take the front springs out to do the install. All are adjustable dampening. Would buy again.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like coil overs are the preferred upgrade. I'll start looking at those more.

Any other input is welcome.

Delorean Industries - Couple of questions:
    - My car already has the front end recall in place. I noticed the kit you provide has this in it. Is the new one needed? Do you recommend to replace the factory recall pieces?
    - I'm assuming instructions are included?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Instructions yes, kit can be prorated with components you already have.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    Delorean Industries - Couple of questions:
    - My car already has the front end recall in place. I noticed the kit you provide has this in it. Is the new one needed? Do you recommend to replace the factory recall pieces?
    - I'm assuming instructions are included?
    I got the complete kit with their new LCAs. I left my original front end recall bracket in place. Didn't affect the rest of the new parts.

There seem to be a lot of negative comments in here so here's my story. First kit I got from DPI had me sitting a bit too low in front for my tastes. I contacted Josh after having them installed for a short time. He simply had me send my front pair of coilovers back and he shipped me out a new pair with a slightly different spring rate and brackets to swap in the fronts.

Honestly it's great to have that kind of help and variations of parts to customize your setup.

Yeah I should note there are three different options-

Lowered extreme for those wanting the car slammed

Standard lowering (most popular)

Normal stance ( yes some like it)

stainless chassis options are the above but completely different. Factory suspension components do not fit on our frames.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    List of QA1 components I got was around $1k. KW's set is $1650. It's definitely the most expensive set I've seen for the delorean.

They don't use the actual picture on the site so I wasn't sure about them, but the instructions do show them on an actual Delorean.
    While MANY coilovers exist at a wide range of price-points, there are many differences in the quality of brands. I understand that many DMC owners are refreshing their suspension and want to go a bit lower which the QA1 achieves as it is a step up from the OEM layout. But choosing between QA1 vs. KW, for a fairly minimal price difference (especially when purchasing through DPI), is a no-brainer for anyone looking to do more than just lower the car.

QA1 is a cheap coilover, best known for producing coilovers for hot rods, older American show cars and dirt track. For example, BC coilovers are considered to be a low cost option and using the C5 Corvette as an example, BC is $995 while QA1 is $811. KW on the other hand is one of the best suspension manufacturers in the world, produces OEM equipment for many auto manufacturers, obtained TUV certificate and used in some of the highest levels of motorsports. Think about this, KW engineered the coilovers to fit the DMC, DPI/QA1 require the front spring perches be removed.

I agree, KW could have done significantly more on the marketing. For reference, here's the DMC coilovers:

Spring perch removal isn't required. Just looks stupid keeping something that is no longer required.

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Yeah I should note there are three different options-

Lowered extreme for those wanting the car slammed

Standard lowering (most popular)

Normal stance ( yes some like it)

stainless chassis options are the above but completely different. Factory suspension components do not fit on our frames.

How do you go about ordering the different options? When I'm ready to order, I would be interested in the Standard lowering.

What does this actually mean? I thought the coil overs were adjustable all the way around, does the "Lowered" version have more range than the "Standard"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    How do you go about ordering the different options? When I'm ready to order, I would be interested in the Standard lowering.

What does this actually mean? I thought the coil overs were adjustable all the way around, does the "Lowered" version have more range than the "Standard"?
    We offer three different operating ranges of the configuration. Coil overs are adjustable within a range based on a minimum required preload on the coil to a maximum advised base compression of the spring. We manufacture different spring lengths to achieve different heights to operate within the desired range. (The highest version are not kept in stock and have a 3 week lead time due to low interest) While you could technically run the standard grade spring all the way up to achieve a nose high ride height for example. Or the lowest version up to the standard, this would require excessive compression of the coil spring within it's operating range and have very poor ride quality.

When ordering we always reach out and ask prior to assembling. Also we design special applications as well per request. For example if you are making massive changes to the car with conversions etc.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 12-19-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to capitalize the "L" in DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    We offer three different operating ranges of the configuration. Coil overs are adjustable within a range based on a minimum required preload on the coil to a maximum advised base compression of the spring. We manufacture different spring lengths to achieve different heights to operate within the desired range. (The highest version are not kept in stock and have a 3 week lead time due to low interest) While you could technically run the standard grade spring all the way up to achieve a nose high ride height for example. Or the lowest version up to the standard, this would require excessive compression of the coil spring within it's operating range and have very poor ride quality.

When ordering we always reach out and ask prior to assembling. Also we design special applications as well per request. For example if you are making massive changes to the car with conversions etc.
    Thanks for the explanation!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast