FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: AVO Shocks or Coil Over?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2019

    Posts:    51

    Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Spring perch removal isn't required. Just looks stupid keeping something that is no longer required.
    Are your coilovers a twin tube or monotube design?

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2016

    Location:  Ohio

    Posts:    89

    My VIN:    2805

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    While MANY coilovers exist at a wide range of price-points, there are many differences in the quality of brands. I understand that many DMC owners are refreshing their suspension and want to go a bit lower which the QA1 achieves as it is a step up from the OEM layout. But choosing between QA1 vs. KW, for a fairly minimal price difference (especially when purchasing through DPI), is a no-brainer for anyone looking to do more than just lower the car.

    QA1 is a cheap coilover, best known for producing coilovers for hot rods, older American show cars and dirt track. For example, BC coilovers are considered to be a low cost option and using the C5 Corvette as an example, BC is $995 while QA1 is $811. KW on the other hand is one of the best suspension manufacturers in the world, produces OEM equipment for many auto manufacturers, obtained TUV certificate and used in some of the highest levels of motorsports. Think about this, KW engineered the coilovers to fit the DMC, DPI/QA1 require the front spring perches be removed.

    I agree, KW could have done significantly more on the marketing. For reference, here's the DMC coilovers:










    Can you adjust the ride firmness/softness with these? It says adjustable on the website, but I don't see the dial in your pictures. However, the picture on the front cover of the instruction PDF shows one on the top or bottom, but doesn't reference anything in the rest of the instructions. If that's the case, how easy/hard is it to adjust?
    Last edited by Nate88; 12-20-2019 at 08:21 AM.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2019

    Posts:    51

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    Can you adjust the ride firmness/softness with these? It says adjustable on the website, but I don't see the dial in your pictures. However, the picture on the front cover of the instruction PDF shows one on the top or bottom, but doesn't reference anything in the rest of the instructions. If that's the case, how easy/hard is it to adjust?
    Yes, they come with a tool to adjust the rebound, it goes into the top of the housing and is simple to adjust.

  4. #44
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    2,022

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC) (DOI)

    Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    While MANY coilovers exist at a wide range of price-points, there are many differences in the quality of brands. I understand that many DMC owners are refreshing their suspension and want to go a bit lower which the QA1 achieves as it is a step up from the OEM layout. But choosing between QA1 vs. KW, for a fairly minimal price difference (especially when purchasing through DPI), is a no-brainer for anyone looking to do more than just lower the car.

    QA1 is a cheap coilover, best known for producing coilovers for hot rods, older American show cars and dirt track. For example, BC coilovers are considered to be a low cost option and using the C5 Corvette as an example, BC is $995 while QA1 is $811. KW on the other hand is one of the best suspension manufacturers in the world, produces OEM equipment for many auto manufacturers, obtained TUV certificate and used in some of the highest levels of motorsports. Think about this, KW engineered the coilovers to fit the DMC, DPI/QA1 require the front spring perches be removed.

    I agree, KW could have done significantly more on the marketing. For reference, here's the DMC coilovers:

    [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48005726266_5d20eea8a6_z.jpg

    [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48027159813_864350c54e_z.jpg

    [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48027161433_70db8dc69d_z.jpg

    [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48027158233_f3b8514d3b_z.jpg

    [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48027123626_3497a732b0_z.jpg
    Thanks for the rundown! you have talked me out of QA1s. Looking forward to running these next season.

    5.3L LS4 + Subaru 6spd 314whp/348ft-lbs
    Getting it back on the road!
    LS Swap

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2016

    Location:  Ohio

    Posts:    89

    My VIN:    2805

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Thanks everyone for the replies. It seemed the overall consensus was that coil overs are the better way to go.

    I ordered DPI’s kit sans the front end recall parts (already on car). Can’t wait to get these installed!

    For people who have this kit, what shock stiffness are you running?

  6. #46
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    528

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Thanks for the rundown! you have talked me out of QA1s. Looking forward to running these next season.
    “white out” should have disclosed he has a financial interest, seeing how he’s currently selling KW DeLorean kits on eBay.

    Aside from that, TUV is a German/Austrian product certification, so naturally few U.S.-based companies would even apply for it unless they expect to sell in Germany.

    QA1 meets ISO 9001, which is an international product certification. Can KW make the same claim?

    QA1 is older than KW. QA1 also provides to OEM manufacturers.

    KW does cost more, which by itself isn’t persuasive. The threaded spring collar is plastic, which I wouldn’t consider symbolic of quality.

    What else makes KW better?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Oct 2018

    Location:  Mebane, NC

    Posts:    3

    My VIN:    05292

    I have to come to Delorean Industries defense on this one. I have been an owner for about a year and a half and all this bashing other venders is nonsense. I see I have nothing to say but good things about Josh@DPI. He's a good guy. When I ordered the wrong color fuel lines and it took me 4 months to return them, he gladly exchanged them for the correct color. My stage1 exhaust? I love it. Josh has always answered my questions and treated me fairly and respectfully. I just ordered the QA1 setup with the stabilizers, and I can't wait to see how it drives. (Thanks for the demo Christian!) I would even be willing to drive the 10 hour drive to have my car serviced by Josh if I needed it! I support all of the DMC vendors, and each vendor has their niche with parts. Josh is #1 when it comes to exhaust and suspension, hands down.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2019

    Posts:    51

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    “white out” should have disclosed he has a financial interest, seeing how he’s currently selling KW DeLorean kits on eBay.

    Aside from that, TUV is a German/Austrian product certification, so naturally few U.S.-based companies would even apply for it unless they expect to sell in Germany.

    QA1 meets ISO 9001, which is an international product certification. Can KW make the same claim?

    QA1 is older than KW. QA1 also provides to OEM manufacturers.

    KW does cost more, which by itself isn’t persuasive. The threaded spring collar is plastic, which I wouldn’t consider symbolic of quality.

    What else makes KW better?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First off, since a very important part of my previous post, was skipped, here it is again:

    Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    While MANY coilovers exist at a wide range of price-points, there are many differences in the quality of brands. I understand that many DMC owners are refreshing their suspension and want to go a bit lower which the QA1 achieves as it is a step up from the OEM layout. But choosing between QA1 vs. KW, for a fairly minimal price difference (especially when purchasing through DPI), is a no-brainer for anyone looking to do more than just lower the car.
    With that said….

    I do sell KW on eBay (and my website), thanks for the plug. I also have QA1 available at wholesale and don’t market the brand, or products, at all.

    QA1 is two years older (LOL) than KW. QA1 has its location in Minnesota. KW has grown to have facilities in: Germany, UK, US and Switzerland.

    Here is a list of motorsports series which KW is a manufacture for: Formula Drift, 24 Hours at Nurburgring – 6 overall wins, German Touring Car, World Touring Car Championship, Asain GT Championship, VLN Endurance Championship, BMW Sports Trophy Series, Multiple Nurburgring oveall lap records with different manufacturers and development with Grand Turismo.

    I cannot find a specific OEM manufacturer that QA1 supplies. But I did find the types of markets they provide for: Agriculture, Lawn and Garden, Construction, Off Highway, ATV/UTV, Packaging, Energy, HVAC, Car Washes, Medical Equipment, Fitness Equipment, Motorsports. Which makes sense why QA1 is pushing that ISO 9001 certification, most likely for the individual components they provide to combat lower prices from China.

    Here are some of the OEM Applications KW supplies for: Alpina, BMW, Mercedes AMG, Mini, Chrysler/Viper ACR, Roush Vehicles (available through Ford).

    QA1 R&D center:
    https://www.qa1.net/about/news/qa1-e...pment-facility
    QA1 lists their equipment: FaroArm, 10 CNC Machining Centers, CNC Laser Cutter, CNC Press Brake, CNC Tubing Bender, CNC Band Saw, Hydraulic Presses, Shock Dynos, Shock Assembly Machines, TIG Welders, MIG Welders, Radial Riveting Machines, Injection Mold Machines, Filament Winder, Torsion Tester, Balancer, CMM, Tensile Tester.

    KW R&D center:
    https://www.kwsuspensions.com/technology/kw_7_post
    Used as development center for: Formula series, LMP1, LMP2, DTM, ADAC GT Masters, WTCC and Rally Car.

    More on the composite spring seat can be found here:
    https://www.kwsuspensions.com/technology/coilovers

    Each KW system is developed for that specific vehicle where the QA1 route is combining off the shelf parts to fit the car. KW is monotube construction and QA1 (and from the looks of it DPI) is twin tube construction, aka cheap. I stick with my point that QA1 is better than stock, but deciding between QA1 and KW for nearly the same price is an easy choice.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2016

    Location:  Ohio

    Posts:    89

    My VIN:    2805

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Parts came in last week from DPI. Awesome quality for everything. I can't wait to get to get it installed!
    Attached Images

  10. #50
    President, DeLorean Industries
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  CLE/PHX

    Posts:    2,480

    My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

    Our coil over systems with their associated components are now available individually for owners who want to build over time or perform a complete update all at once.

    Front lower aluminum coil over control arms.
    https://deloreanindustries.com/31-al...r-pair-loaded/

    Front only coil over system.
    https://deloreanindustries.com/1-spec-coil-over-front/

    Full coil over system featuring all of the above.
    https://deloreanindustries.com/delor...-over-package/


    Recommended add on components:

    Rear lower adjustable control arms- All new construction. Manufactured in the USA. No core required.
    https://deloreanindustries.com/delor...rol-arms-rear/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •