FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AVO Shocks or Coil Over?

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

AVO Shocks or Coil Over?

I'm planning a suspension upgrade to 2805 including new shocks, springs (lowered front), new front lower control arms, and strut tower brace. I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find much with the 2 options I'm pondering.

I pretty much had my mind made up on AVO shocks, but now I'm considering a coil over system. Both options give the ability to adjust the stiffness of the shocks.

What are the other benefits or downfalls to either?

Are the coil overs "better"? Why?

Anybody have the AVO shocks? Thoughts?

Just want to get the opinions of the community that are running some of these setups. 2805 is still on the original suspension and is in dire need of an upgrade.

Thanks for any input!

My VIN:    10353

Go with DPI coilovers. Gives you lowered profile and lots of adjustments for stiff or soft ride.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Go with DPI coilovers. Gives you lowered profile and lots of adjustments for stiff or soft ride.
    I would contact Matthew David (Drive stainless). He sells the same coilover setup as DPI but for a cheaper price.
    Its all just off the shelf QA1 stuff, nothing proprietary about it. I believe the front setup crosses to a Mustang 2 and the rear are just universal springs and shocks. Matt makes the necessary brackets to interface the QA1 stuff with the delorean frame and suspension.

I installed this setup on 2022, with an LS swap. My personal car still has a mostly stock setup (with the exception of front lowering springs) and it is a NIGHT AND DAY difference.
    The car handles infinitely better around corners, and the adjustable damping allowed me to firm up the rear shocks to prevent the front from lifting under acceleration. I never had the chance to autox 2022, but I would imagine it would shave seconds off my previous times with 11408.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I would contact Matthew David (Drive stainless). He sells the same coilover setup as DPI but for a cheaper price.
    Its all just off the shelf QA1 stuff, nothing proprietary about it. I believe the front setup crosses to a Mustang 2 and the rear are just universal springs and shocks. Matt makes the necessary brackets to interface the QA1 stuff with the delorean frame and suspension.

I installed this setup on 2022, with an LS swap. My personal car still has a mostly stock setup (with the exception of front lowering springs) and it is a NIGHT AND DAY difference.
    The car handles infinitely better around corners, and the adjustable damping allowed me to firm up the rear shocks to prevent the front from lifting under acceleration. I never had the chance to autox 2022, but I would imagine it would shave seconds off my previous times with 11408.
    You should probably do your research a little better prior to posting things such as this. We purchase blanks for the rear/ machine housings for the front and build our own valving and internals for our shock offerings. The off the shelf components used by Matt Spittle or David are not the same as what we offer. If you are ok with sub standard attempts at reverse engineering something based solely on how it fits between two points.....

In your defense this information isn't readily available to you due to being black listed for trolling and causing issues on our company pages with inappropriate posts and aggressive derogatory comments towards our clients.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 12-17-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5312

I dont understand the problems people have with DPI. I have had nothing but amazing service with them, tech calls as well. Every product I have bought is top notch. I dont want to shill DPI, but seriously its comparing two completely separate things when you compare compare DPi's suspensions to QA1's. We dont have many vendors for our cars. Please support them, keep the trash talk to the other car communities that have more options as well.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    You should probably do your research a little better prior to posting things such as this. We purchase blanks for the rear/ machine housings for the front and build our own valving and internals for our shock offerings. The off the shelf components used by Matt Spittle or David are not the same as what we offer. If you are ok with sub standard attempts at reverse engineering something based solely on how it fits between two points.....

In your defense this information isn't readily available to you due to being black listed for trolling and causing issues on our company pages with inappropriate posts and aggressive derogatory comments towards our clients.
    Unless you can prove me wrong, I find it hard to believe you are sourcing custom valved shocks.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    I dont understand the problems people have with DPI. I have had nothing but amazing service with them, tech calls as well. Every product I have bought is top notch. I dont want to shill DPI, but seriously its comparing two completely separate things when you compare compare DPi's suspensions to QA1's. We dont have many vendors for our cars. Please support them, keep the trash talk to the other car communities that have more options as well.
    Earlier in my ownership I did 10k+ of business with DPI as well as visited Josh at his shop a few times (I live approx 2500kms away from ohio). I would literally drive a day out of my way when going to DCSs to visit him.
    Then things went south between us and i am blacklisted. Furthermore I have come to know several of his previous "clients" that have have paid DPI for parts and services and gotten nothing in return over long periods of time. Im helping a gentleman LS swap his car that paid Josh for a turbo kit that never came. I shipped some extra parts to another owner that took his car back after several years at DPI in worse shape than it was delivered and thousands of dollars later. Other owners have waited up to a year to receive parts from him that had been paid for, holding up their build.

I do not consider DPI an option as a vendor.

Also, calling DPIs coilovers and QA1s completely different is fairly naive. Put the two side by side, they are identical. Maybe the valving is different but the body and the coils are the same thing.
    Last edited by Josh; 12-17-2019 at 05:48 PM.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Unless you can prove me wrong, I find it hard to believe you are sourcing custom valved shocks.
    Come on down. I'll personally walk you through our manufacturing facilities.

We also manufacture our own springs. Off the shelf rates in increments of 25 lbs are just not "right".

Josh.... You left us no choice. You would hijack our product threads and tell owners that they were better off buying cheap Chinese options from over seas on our company pages. It is all right to disagree and suggest other options in a public forum but seriously how would it have ever been OK for you to link other knock off and Chinese sources on our company pages? Multiple people called you out on this and I personally even took steps prior to ending the relationship and stopping your involvement to express this to you. Then to make things worse you started a not so private social media page for LS swap owners that we were given access to. That is nothing short of a slam dunk defamation case if we were to choose to pursue it. Not to mention countless emails and private messages forwarded to us from owners you have corresponded with making false claims and accusations. At the end of the day our choice to steer clear of you is very justified. I wish you the best moving forward but if you keep making off the cuff accusations and baseless claims casting doubt on our premium product offerings I'll continue to be forced to interject.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast