FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping headers

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Wrapping headers

Just curious is anyone has wrapped their headers (assuming you have them)? I have been pondering how to lower the engine compartment temps to help preserve the various components especially considering how tight everything is in there with low airflow.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ive debated doing this but never pulled the trigger.
    In other applications I have wrapped the headers in it made a dramatic decrease in temps. I would think it would be a step in the right direction.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have been told on the thug forum that a well respected member/vendor advised against it (at least on a PRV). I was told it caused more problems than it solved so I am not going to do it. I did get some heat barrier sleeve to do the Alternator wiring with as it practically touches the headers.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-22-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have been told on the thug forum that a well respected member/vendor advised against it (at least on a PRV). I was told it caused more problems than it solved so I am not going to do it. I did get some heat barrier sleeve to do the Alternator wiring with as it practically touches the headers.
    How would wrapping be much different than a ceramic coated exhaust? That creates a thermal barrier as well. I know DPI does ceramic coating as an option on their exhausts.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    4519

I wrapped mine with no regrets...

Mine have just been wrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is so much room in the DMC engine bay and small exhaust system that it really isn't necessary, unless you're spending a lot of time in stop and go traffic. But a nice option is ceramic coating the headers to keep temps down.

My VIN:    03500

I installed a full muffler heat shield wrap. It definitely cuts down on the heat. It makes opening the engine bay at car shows a lot more bearable. But I would ceramic coat instead of wrapping. Not an expert but the research I found wrapped headers reduces the life expectancy.

Dave B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

PJ Grady sells a heat shield you install around the cross-over pipe over the transmission to reduce heat to the automatic. He also sells a heat exchanger you can wrap over the oil cooler for the auto trans. Wrapping the exhaust is a low cost alternative to ceramic coating or porcelienizing (sp). The heat wrap will hold water and can cause premature rusting. It will significantly reduce temperatures in the engine compartment. Used often on headers especially if you have a turbo so you keep the exhaust gasses as hot as you can till they are used in the turbo. You see it on the downpipe and a blanket over the turbo. Try to use stainless steel wire to secure it, not ordinary steel wire, it will quickly rust and break.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I had the alternator wires touch against the hot headers resulting in some melting and subsequently, a short. I corrected the wiring and then I wrapped the wiring instead of the headers. I am less concerned with the heat in the engine bay, and more interested in prolonging the life of the headers. Apparently wrapping them, does lower the life expectancy.

......Mike......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast