FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DeLorean annual safety check results (Europe)

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    My car would not pass the smog section due to no catalytic converter, thats it.
    Ahhh, got ya. Well, this engine runs so clean that if you tune it correctly and the O2 sensor is working you might just pass. The catalytic converter isn't really doing much in my case anyway
    You might install a cat too and help the climate a bit. It will not have any effect on performance... I've checked it and it causes absolutely no restriction.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    Ahhh, got ya. Well, this engine runs so clean that if you tune it correctly and the O2 sensor is working you might just pass. The catalytic converter isn't really doing much in my case anyway
    You might install a cat too and help the climate a bit. It will not have any effect on performance... I've checked it and it causes absolutely no restriction.
    Maybe so. I've done a lot of searching, and can't find a definitive answer on this in California. It seems to me that all cars must have a catalytic converter, no matter what, even if
    it's registered as a classic car. There's complications here regarding after market units too, in a recent law. In CA, as it seems in many other states, cars too can be
    registered as classic/vintage etc, but as mentioned earlier, there's then restrictions on how much you can drive them, etc.

Like most people, I'd rather have a car that's both safe and passes all the tests.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

In Ca all original emission equipment (or C.A.R.B. approved replacements) must stay on any car 1968 or newer (but only 1976 and newer is smog inspected).

I have a 1975 volvo 242, engine swapped with a '87 Ford mustang V8, no emission equipment on it at all here in CA. Technically not legal but nobody checks, pretty sad that's the newest car you can get away with doing that.

There are also some counties here where you only need to smog a vehicle once until you sell it to another owner, therefore are you could get away with removing all smog equipment, putting in any engine you want, and no one is going to check until you sell the car to another person in the state.

And to the OP that is fantastic that your car runs so clean but I gotta call BS on the weight of the car, no way it's that light. I've weighed a few cars here and nothing was below 2700lbs even without a passenger seat, louvers, spare tire and carpets. I wish these cars were 2400lbs stock.

My VIN:    10201

I think someone might be making some weighing errors and taking out driver weight too many times. If you add the driver weight to the "recorded" weight, you get around 2700lbs. I drove over a truck scale at my last job and it was about one me heavier than stock curb weight.

After seeing the pictures there's no way it could be that light.

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    And to the OP that is fantastic that your car runs so clean but I gotta call BS on the weight of the car, no way it's that light. I've weighed a few cars here and nothing was below 2700lbs even without a passenger seat, louvers, spare tire and carpets. I wish these cars were 2400lbs stock.
    Thanks! Yeah, it runs perfect and I'm very happy and proud because not long ago this car was in pieces and all those pieces were in cardboard boxes. See pix below.
    I'll check the weight once the car is fully assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I think someone might be making some weighing errors and taking out driver weight too many times. If you add the driver weight to the "recorded" weight, you get around 2700lbs. I drove over a truck scale at my last job and it was about one me heavier than stock curb weight.

After seeing the pictures there's no way it could be that light.
    The weight that the machine reports is the weight that it sees. So, it was the total weight that was on the sensors including everything (driver too). It might be that their machine is off but that would be surprising because all that equipment has to be calibrated. Don't know...

Now you guys got me curious. Once the weather improves a bit I'll visit a place where they have a very accurate weighting station. I wonder...
    On the other hand, when I imported the car to Europe they took all measurements of the car during the first inspection. Length, width, height, weight and everything else. At that time the car was 100% complete and stock. The weight they got back then was 1130 kg or 2491 lbs. without the driver and about half a tank of gas.
    Do I have a slim version? DMC 11.5?

I will report back when I have the weight checked.

This is what my car looked like not long ago:

Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2