FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another option - Electric GT Offers EV Crate Motor For Classics

Another option - Electric GT Offers EV Crate Motor For Classics

Kind of like an electric LS crate motor. Pretty expensive.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...r-classic-cars

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

This one sounds intriguing if it happens of course: https://jalopnik.com/finally-an-elec...our-1839168140

It's good to have options.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    Former owner of 10439 Currently own 06291

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

That is so cool. I guess the main issue is where to put batteries. You figure a 20KW battery gets you 50miles, and would probably need at least a 60KW battery to make it work.
    Adam Brandt
    Former owner of 10439 Stage II
    Owner of 06291 DMCH rebuild, Stage II, Eibach, SS Frame

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by orangecrrrush View Post
    That is so cool. I guess the main issue is where to put batteries. You figure a 20KW battery gets you 50miles, and would probably need at least a 60KW battery to make it work.
    I'm no expert in EV powertrains and batteries but it seems like the space formerly occupied by the fuel tank would the logical place to put the batteries. Does anyone know how DMCH configured the EV DeLorean they showed at the NY Auto Show in 2012?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Does anyone know how DMCH configured the EV DeLorean they showed at the NY Auto Show in 2012?
    Yes, the 32kWh battery pack was deployed on each side of the motor in the engine bay. See image here:

https://www.torquenews.com/image/bat...mc-12-electric

Some notes they shared about the performance of the prototype:
    The 2013 DeLorean DMCev will be powered by a 400 volt electric motor developed by Epic EV that sends 260 horsepower and 360lb-ft of torque – roughly double the output of the original DMC-12. The electric motor is driven by a 32 kWh lithium ion battery mounted in the middle of the car. This single speed drivetrain allows the DMCev to dash from 0-60 in around 6 seconds while reaching a top speed of 125 miles per hour. More importantly, the DeLorean DMCev is expected to offer a range of 64 to 96 miles on a single charge; with actual range depending greatly on driving situations and conditions (a fact of all EVs).

There they say the batteries are in the middle of the car. We know the engine bay is in the rear.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/new-d...york-auto-show
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    6313

From the look of the design (motorious.com link), they've package together what look like 2 motors with a motor stub and adapter plate. On top are two controllers (HPEVS Curtis). The four black boxes (like valve covers) look purely cosmetic, just there to make it look like a V-engine arrangement. Obviously the adapter plate and stub would need to be different for each make of car. Great pics and article materials, but in reality that's the easy part. Fitting, controlling, cooling/heating and charging a battery pack (probably 4+ times the size of what is shown) is the difficult part. Then you just need vacuum for brakes, and heat for window defrosting - basic safety stuff - and AC if that's your thing .

ElectricGT option is classic looks-like-plug-and-play. All the same features (but including a single gear reduction and differential) are provided as part of the Tesla drive units - a small drive unit, which fits in the DeLorean engine bay costs about $7000 (including the controller package, accelerator pedal, etc.). Of course there is still axles, batteries, contactors, charger, dcdc converter, heater, cooling, vaccum (for brakes and airbox) to take care of.

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    10201

I'm not sure the electric GT option would be practical in a delorean. I've been following them on ig and that thing looks pretty damn massive.

I'm using a leaf motor and transmission in mine like Jacob graham had done. It uses up mostly just the transmission space which leaves a lot of the engine bay space open for batteries and the inverter. The electric crate motor would use up all that battery space.

It's very neat and looks awesome. I just don't think it's practical in something as small as a delorean. Better suited for an suv or big muscle car.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

More on this

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...ctric-delorean

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    More on this

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...ctric-delorean

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    That's a good read. The license plate charging port is a neat idea. I was thinking of behind the grille like a leaf. I wonder where he put the charger in the car since mine will be in the trunk area.

That custom blue interior reminded me of Andy Blackmons car. When I met him he said "as you can tell... I really like blue"

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, the 32kWh battery pack was deployed on each side of the motor in the engine bay. See image here:

https://www.torquenews.com/image/bat...mc-12-electric

Some notes they shared about the performance of the prototype:
    The 2013 DeLorean DMCev will be powered by a 400 volt electric motor developed by Epic EV that sends 260 horsepower and 360lb-ft of torque – roughly double the output of the original DMC-12. The electric motor is driven by a 32 kWh lithium ion battery mounted in the middle of the car. This single speed drivetrain allows the DMCev to dash from 0-60 in around 6 seconds while reaching a top speed of 125 miles per hour. More importantly, the DeLorean DMCev is expected to offer a range of 64 to 96 miles on a single charge; with actual range depending greatly on driving situations and conditions (a fact of all EVs).

There they say the batteries are in the middle of the car. We know the engine bay is in the rear.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/new-d...york-auto-show
    Not trying to hijack the thread but asking out of curiosity. Where is the new 2013 electric DeLorean these days? Houston's showroom or did someone buy it?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast