FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Average length of ownership

My VIN:    03572

I'm at 13 years. I think owners that work on their own car tend to keep them longer. Fixing things tends to add to owner enjoyment.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

I think if you survive the first couple of years you'll end up with the car for a long time. Most people that aren't ready for what is waiting as an owner will pull the chute within the first two years. After that, it's part of your DNA. Love it or hate it. It's what people know you by. "Oh yea, I know that guy. He's got the DeLorean, right?"

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Last two posts...nail/head

Dave and Johnathan pretty much summed it up.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

It's been seven years for me and I still enjoy the hell out of it. Like Dave and Jonathan have said by working on 10287 it has become part of me and I have left some of me in the car (a little blood and a note in the roofbox) I sincerely hope I never am forced to sell and I would be delighted if my six year old nephew continues to be interested in the car and wants to learn how to care for it.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Agreed. Once you get past a certain point, you know what the car needs to keep it running, so you lose the anxiety about breakdowns (and warranties with modern cars). The perception of the DeLorean changes as it becomes so much more reliable, and thus enjoyable.

Counting from the day I picked it up, it'll be 20 years for me in April.

Funny thing is that my regular cars will be paid off this spring. Out of curiosity I started pricing both new and used cars in case we wanted a spare vehicle. I looked at things between a Focus ST to a Dodge Challenger. Prices now are so high, that it's actually cheaper to restore the DeLorean and put it into service as a spare car.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Prices now are so high, that it's actually cheaper to restore the DeLorean and put it into service as a spare car.
    Take note timid men who need the wife's permission before taking a dump. Next time you find your pair and buy a D on eBay only to realize later that said pair is still in wife's purse you can try this argument in a last ditch effort to make sound Dave Ramsey financial logic.

Heart warming to hear of all the long time owners!
    Being that I'm on my second DeLorean, and even tho mine is putting me through the ringer at the moment, I wouldn't let it go because I'd just end up getting another later down the line, likely for a higher price (which is exactly what happened already once)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yep... It becomes yours. Some one in the UK once asked me to check out a local car that was for sale for him. It was a bit nicer than mine in some most respects and worse in a few others. I was seriously considering selling mine and buying the other but another owner friend said, "You can't do that... All the work you've already put into your car... it's yours... a part of you." He was right.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    6585

Take note timid men who need the wife's permission before taking a dump. Next time you find your pair and buy a D on eBay only to realize later that said pair is still in wife's purse you can try this argument in a last ditch effort to make sound Dave Ramsey financial logic.
    What can I say? I hate car buying and I'm cheap. Not to mention that as much as I love my DeLorean, and it is a literal dream car that I managed to own, it's also a used car to me that I'm already familiar with.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    2706

I had considered selling up at one point because I had found a really nice origional car and I would have been the 2nd owner . My wife and Rich talked me out of it. She was like you have rebuilt damn near everything on that car and you would regret getting it. In the end she was right. If I was to get another car it would just be my 2nd delorean. 2706 stays with me . Like said previously I just know the car. Every nut bolt and wire. It takes a long time to get that familiar with the car.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast