FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Come so far to find this!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Yeah it held the torque, I did not use an impact.
    I doubt its from a prior mechanic, the car was bought from Mike's Brother at DMC Midwest.

Thinking I could remove that head bolt, and re torque it, It was torqued to 15lbs and then 115 degrees. It felt like it was holding through the full 115 degree rotation
    Very strange failure, IIRC that was a pretty clean and original car, although I haven't personally seen it in a very long time.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Very strange failure, IIRC that was a pretty clean and original car, although I haven't personally seen it in a very long time.
    Like you said, shit happens I guess.

I mean, its real nice, and as you remember it, sadly I've just had a strand of really bad luck with it.
    Sadly all the money I've put into it is now null and void, as it all has to be done over again.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Because you can never know if all of your work has been done correctly till you hear the motor start, a mistake or an overlooked defect can get by and not be discovered till you are nearly finished. Even the "experts" don't always get it right the first time. For one of the biggest disasters just look at the Hubble Space Telescope. Consider it a minor set-back and try again. Things like this happen to everybody. All is not lost.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Hey man, I read this thread earlier today and I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. I believe the other motor in the FS section was sold but this just popped up from Dave Tavres. Complete engine is 3k which is a steal IMO

PRV For Sale - Baltimore
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

That's a real shocker very sorry to read this , but keep the head up you've come so far.. You will get there!

Take a step back and asess your options and go on from there

Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sometimes working on cars seems like a Sisyphean task. Look it up. And stay away form large boulders.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Looking at the pictures I would say that this block can be saved. The crack doesn't seem very bad and since it's holding the torque the block itself is probably good. I'd say there is a 95% chance of saving it.
    See if you can find a good and reputable welder with a mobile shop so he can come out to the car and fix it. You will need to remove the bolt and probably the entire head just to make sure the heat of welding doesn't do any more damage. The crack will need to be opened up, cleaned and TIG welded. The weld will need to be pretty deep and the thread will need to be cleaned up afterwards. Actually, when I think about it now I'm adding another 3% to the chances of saving it - the chances of saving the block are now at 98%

Just to make sure, you did soak the head bolts in oil before assembly, right? And you did use new bolts I'm sure...

Don't give up! It can be fixed! And I'm sure it will be cheaper than replacing the engine.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    Looking at the pictures I would say that this block can be saved. The crack doesn't seem very bad and since it's holding the torque the block itself is probably good. I'd say there is a 95% chance of saving it.
    See if you can find a good and reputable welder with a mobile shop so he can come out to the car and fix it. You will need to remove the bolt and probably the entire head just to make sure the heat of welding doesn't do any more damage. The crack will need to be opened up, cleaned and TIG welded. The weld will need to be pretty deep and the thread will need to be cleaned up afterwards. Actually, when I think about it now I'm adding another 3% to the chances of saving it - the chances of saving the block are now at 98%

Just to make sure, you did soak the head bolts in oil before assembly, right? And you did use new bolts I'm sure...

Don't give up! It can be fixed! And I'm sure it will be cheaper than replacing the engine.
    Yeah, DMC Florida consulted with DMC Huston, and then said since it’s so close to being fully assembled I should put it together and see if it leaks. So maybe it will be ok as is? But they said try it, and then if I really need a new one we can go from there.

JB Weld - What's to lose?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast