FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Come so far to find this!

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    JB Weld - What's to lose?
    If I put it back together and it’s not leaking there, should I bother?

My VIN:    4519

Sorry to see that, man.

My 0.02: I agree that since you're so close to completion, you haven't much to lose by seeing if it holds.
    I also believe it can be fixed I'd necessary. I agree JB Weld is worth a try, an "undercut" would probably help a lot in this case.

I believe it would be worth trying the JB weld before running the engine. The concern here is the crack may worsen with engine pressure and vibration. JB weld may not prevent this. It might crack right along with the block. But I have seen JB weld do some amazing things. I repaired a puncture in an aluminum engine block and it has held for years. However, this situation looks to be a more challenging application for the product. Still, it may just take a little support from the JB to keep the crack from propagating.

Doing an undercut would normally be good practice to give the JB more grip, but I would be reluctant in this case because of the crack location near the head bolt. I would recommend you just clean the area with brake cleaner and wire brush. Get all oil and grease removed and rough up the surface. Just before your ready to apply the JB, put a very small amount of moly lube on the exposed bolt thread. Again, a very small amount applied with a toothpick or jeweler screwdriver. This is simply to keep the JB from adhering directly to the bolt thread. Then follow the application instructions. I use nitrite gloves to spread and work the JB in with strong finger pressure. You're using the JB for two functions. First to add a structural surface coating to prevent the crack from worsening, and second to seal the hole where there might be a potential leak.

Best of luck. We're all pulling for you.
    Ron

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Sounds like others have had some success layering JB Weld over several days as well. Kind of on the fence, because you'll always be checking on it even if it holds for years.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I agree you should continue and see if it does actually leak. You can do the JB Weld but I doubt it will be of any use except to cover the mess up so you can't see what what happens, if it leaks or gets worse. For the epoxy repair to work the surfaces must be clean. No way you will get it clean enough. Also JB Weld is not meant for, or is strong enough for this kind of repair. Having tried this kind of block repair on blocks that were cracked from freezing, even if it works it won't last.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Epoxy is not really made to work at engine block temperatures. But since others have had luck with it why not try. I'm not sure a welder could get a TIG torch into that tight location and make a good weld.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Didn't Farrar or somebody have some relatable experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Didn't Farrar or somebody have some relatable experience with this?
    He had block rot, and replaced his engine I believe.

Over due update!
    I hate reading dead end treads,
    The car was not down for long, DMC FL came out and picked up my car, and with some digging we found an upper crank case, they put it all toghether and its been running great ever since.
    Posting here for good housekeeping

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Great to hear!
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast