FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty 1-21-2020 = DeLorean confirms plans to produce “new” DMC-12s

My VIN:    Early

We don't really need more pollution regs here. Instead, other countries like China need to do their part.

Some emission regs are necessary, but the EPA has too much power nowadays.

As for new DMCs... I'll believe it when I get my call for a backordered glovebox insert that was supposed to be available in 2017...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post

As for new DMCs... I'll believe it when I get my call for a backordered glovebox insert that was supposed to be available in 2017...
    DeLorean Go has the inserts.

Updated 1/27/20 = 'New' DeLorean DMC-12 should be ready by fall 2021, exec says

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I still stand by my words from 4 years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There will most definitely be at least one car built, vined, and titled. This will be the show pony. When Stephen said 300 cars I believe he meant that's how many they estimate they will sell. In reality they will probably be built to order. Someone lays down the payment, we will build a car. I would say if they do build the first, then there will be at least some demand.

I think where we are all coming from with our doubts is that we remember the past 8 years and how many times we have been fooled by the cry of "Wolf Wolf!"

If these new cars do take off that would be spectacular for everyone as it will no doubt raise the value of our own all original cars.
    On another note I am so dammed sick of hearing about it I almost wish the new law would just get axed and put this tired neverending story to bed forever.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    This is how I found out. Then I came here to join in on the drama.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10201

On another note I am so dammed sick of hearing about it I almost wish the new law would just get axed and put this tired neverending story to bed forever.
    I've had several people at work tell me about it too. The DeLorean isn't really a car you just happen to drive like a Hyundai sonata, you pretty much know every odd fact and trivia that the general population knows.

I had someone come into my garage once when Ryan was helping me with my car. Started talking about someone with lots of delorean parts. Assumed he meant DMC Houston. But to my surprise, it was legit a guy with NOS parts leftover from a dealership that serviced DMCs a long time ago. Had stripes, luggage rack, taillights, windshield washer reservoir and tons of spark plugs, bulbs and sockets.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I still stand by my words from 4 years ago:

They are making new ones you know

My VIN:    6125

I'm surprised nobody else has posted links to the NHTSA proposed guidelines yet. The public commentary period is now ended, but you can read all the related documents and DMCH's response to the proposed rules here:

NHTSA proposed rules:
    https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0121-0001

The biggest issue I see is the definition of replica vehicle in sec 4A.1

1. REQUIREMENT TO RESEMBLE THE REPLICATED VEHICLE
    The FAST Act states that a replica vehicle is a vehicle that is “intended to resemble the body” of another motor vehicle that was manufactured at least 25 years before the replica. NHTSA is proposing requirements that replica manufacturers demonstrate objective manifestations of intent.

To balance objectivity, feasibility, and enforceability, NHTSA is proposing a requirement that manufacturers submit documentation to support the assertion that the replica vehicle is intended to resemble the original. The documentation must demonstrate that the replica vehicle has the same length, width, and height as the original and must include images of the original vehicle and design plans for the replica vehicle.

One way to ensure that a vehicle is intended to resemble another vehicle would be to require the measurements and shape of the replica motor vehicle body to be identical to those of the replicated vehicle. NHTSA has tentatively decided not to propose requiring replica vehicles to have the exact same specifications as the original vehicles. All of the specifications for the original may not be available and some adjustments may be necessary (e.g., to accommodate modern safety features). That being said, our research shows that information regarding the dimensions of popular car models is available. Therefore, NHTSA believes that requiring the replica vehicles to have the same height, width, and length of original would be a reasonable and objective requirement that would help ensure that replica vehicles are intended to resemble the replicated vehicle.

In addition to the dimension and shape requirement, NHTSA is proposing a requirement that each replica vehicle have the same outward appearance or exterior as the original vehicle. This would mean that each replica must have the same body styling, shape, and exterior features as the original. Compliance with this requirement would be determined based primarily on the location, size, and shape of exterior features and the overall shape of the body of the vehicle.

We interpret the Act's reference to “body” to mean any part of the vehicle that is not part of the chassis or frame. Therefore, NHTSA interprets “body” to include, but not be limited to: The exterior sheet metal and trim, the passenger compartment, trunk, bumpers, fenders, grill, hood, interior trim, lights and glazing. In making this interpretation, NHTSA looked at, among other things, its concept of “body type” as defined at 49 CFR 565.12. “Body type” is defined as the general configuration or shape of a vehicle distinguished by such characteristics as the number of doors or windows, cargo-carrying features and the roofline (e.g., sedan fastback, hatchback). This definition helped NHTSA identify vehicle features and components that are part of the vehicle body. Because the definition includes reference to the shape of the vehicle as well as both exterior and interior features, NHTSA interprets the concept of “body” to include both exterior and interior characteristics. Although a replica vehicle must be the same body type as the original vehicle, merely replicating the number of doors and windows, cargo-carrying features, and the roofline is not sufficient.
    My interpretation of this is that if DMCH is to meet this specific definition of "replica" then it would have to have the same overall dimensions (including front suspension ride height) and have the same interior design as the original. That kinda throws a monkey wrench into the original plans to have a custom interior, not to mention suspension/wheel changes which would change the ride height and track width of the car.

DMCH Response:
    https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0121-0019

Besides the issues related to the definition of "replica" it also looks like all the previous work DMCH has done related to the new EPA compliant drivetrain has to be thrown out and started from scratch. In the document it states that the engine that DMCH was intending to use will cease production in 2022. At this point it makes little sense to try and continue development of that engine that will no longer be available in such a short window.

Basically, the new DeLorean will be pushed back another few years if they even are able to do it now. At that point, why bother? A bartender recently told me that the world is supposed to end within the next twelve years anyway, due to the pollution the original DeLorean bestowed upon the world.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

By the time the new DeLorean gets here, Cybertrucks will be avaliable on used car lots.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast