FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty 1-21-2020 = DeLorean confirms plans to produce “new” DMC-12s

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Electric cars are the future and they will be superior in almost every way to gas and most diesel vehicles (maybe sooner than we think). I believe we can at least agree on that.
    Until a full size battery powered car can get me from Western OH to my family in Western NE in less than the 16 hrs it takes now, I'm sticking with gas. It is just not practical for the distances we travel. Ask me again once I retire and don't have limited time off from work to take longer/slower trips.

And asking because I don't know. . .
    How is the life cycle of battery powered cars these days? I don't get a different car every few years. I maintain and drive the snot out of them. My mind goes to phones & the short battery lives those have. Or is that just intentional to entice you into upgrading every 6months to the latest greatest version?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Until a full size battery powered car can get me from Western OH to my family in Western NE in less than the 16 hrs it takes now, I'm sticking with gas. It is just not practical for the distances we travel. Ask me again once I retire and don't have limited time off from work to take longer/slower trips.

How is the life cycle of battery powered cars these days? I don't get a different car every few years. I maintain and drive the snot out of them. My mind goes to phones & the short battery lives those have. Or is that just intentional to entice you into upgrading every 6months to the latest greatest version?
    I'm with you. What I am saying is the writing is on the wall. Electric powered vehicles will get there in terms of distance, recharge times(we are already at the 20 min mark), and longevity. Also consider the extreme simplicity of a battery powered car compared to today's new vehicles. It's only going to get better and better and the rate at which it does so will increase exponentially. The new Tesla roadster planned for next year boasts over 600 mile range on a single charge. The full sized truck claims 500 miles. That is an impressive range for any passenger vehicle. Like I said time and time again, we are not quite there yet, but in the next 2 years buying a gas powered passenger vehicle will be like buying yesterday's newspaper.

My VIN:    10201

Is it really fair to point out that California has higher pollution than most states when it has the highest population too then mocking the regulations to limit that? It's almost as if humans pollute and higher concentrations of humans lead to higher pollution.

Pointing out that battery manufacturing also causes pollution is a bad faith argument. The net pollution is less than burning fossil fuels. Just leaving out the coal burning plants needed to power the oil refineries that get deliveries from heavy fuel burning tankers from oil spilling pipelines in the ocean.

Also this had nothing to do with trump rolling back any regulations. The replica car law was passed under the Obama administration.

I get that post aren't supposed to be political, but the shit said in this thread has been the equivalent of saying John delorean died in prison for smuggling cocaine in the cars.

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Pointing out that causing a brand new electric car to be manufactured is somehow less overall polluting than keeping an old fossil fuel car going is a bad faith argument. The greenest car is one that already exists.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Pointing out that causing a brand new electric car to be manufactured is somehow less overall polluting than keeping an old fossil fuel car going is a bad faith argument. The greenest car is one that already exists.
    So a used Nissan leaf?

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    So a used Nissan leaf?
    No! A used 69 Boss 302 at 85 MPH driven all the way to the tip of South America with a lot of sudden starts and stops!!!! Let's stop being wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    No! A used 69 Boss 302 at 85 MPH driven all the way to the tip of South America with a lot of sudden starts and stops!!!! Let's stop being wimps.
    How daugh you!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    That was one of the questions I had about EV's. The difference is car batteries (at least in Tesla's case) is temperature and charging management. Heat and over-charging ( charging to 100% and or leaving the phone plugged into the charging device) reduces the life expectancy of the battery. Tesla uses a coolant system to maintain temperature at an optimum temperature and software to manage charging to 80-90 percent.

Here is the temperature patent:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US...oq=20100025006

As a result, a Tesla fleet survey indicates an average of 80-90 percent of battery capacity after 300 - 500 K miles.
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-batt...-1-million-km/
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/16...-500000-miles/

Pretty impressive.

There is an emerging technology enhancement that will apparently allow batteries to last to 1 million miles. "The new battery tested is a Li-Ion battery cell with a next-generation “single crystal” NMC cathode and a new advanced electrolyte."

https://electrek.co/2019/09/07/tesla...s-robot-taxis/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielco.../#72ec799333e3

Exciting times ahead for EV's.

-------------

On the new DeLorean's, yes it has been a long saga to produce them, but I wouldn't bet against their eventual production.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast