FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty 1-21-2020 = DeLorean confirms plans to produce “new” DMC-12s

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Don't read up on how batteries are made and how much coal is burned to create electricity. You will cry. :-)
    I won’t cry, for a few reasons. Consolidated power generation is far cleaner and more efficient than burning fossil fuels at distributed points of consumption; and wind and solar power form a large component of my power mix. Even if that were not the case, the same argument applies about location and dilution. I would rather see pollution in remote areas where few are affected, rather than in dense urban environments or along freeways where many are affected. Furthermore- I’m not leaking or burning contaminated oil, I don’t need oil/filter/spark plug changes, and regenerative braking produces no particulate matter

Then some math if I might. My 500e Fiat has a 24kwh battery. One gallon of gas contains about 34 kWh of energy. The Fiat’s range is 80 miles. Works out to be 114mpge. Not bad. Cheap commuter.

It takes about 6kwh to refine and deliver a gallon of gas. I could take that 6kwh directly and drive 20 miles on it, before the gallon of gas is even refined. By the time you’ve refined and delivered a 13gal tank of gas, you’ve used enough electrical power to move me 260 miles and I still haven’t burned any gas.

The battery, which I accept is complex to manufacture, is only made once for the car, rather than fossil fuels and lubricants which must be extracted continuously over the life of the vehicle. At end of life, the battery or individual cells may be reused for bulk grid support storage before eventual recycling.

Maybe none of this will matter to you because you’d probably much rather stick to your deeply held beliefs about oil and engines and power, or because you think people who drive electric cars are flowery liberals. Don’t get me wrong- internal combustion/piston power has its place. There’s no battery that could fly my airplane 1200 miles like the 68 gallons of 100 octane low lead I can carry. But as soon as there’s a battery that can do it I’ll be first in line. In the meantime I’ll enjoy driving electric- which costs almost nothing.

Best,
    KL
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Electric cars are the future and they will be superior in almost every way to gas and most diesel vehicles (maybe sooner than we think). I believe we can at least agree on that.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Electric cars are the future and they will be superior in almost every way to gas and most diesel vehicles (maybe sooner than we think). I believe we can at least agree on that.
    I agree. But it will take some time to get the 600 miles on a tank with my Toyota Camry.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I agree. But it will take some time to get the 600 miles on a tank with my Toyota Camry.
    I predict less than 24 months.

My VIN:    5312

I wanna hear opethmikes opinion on this emissions stuff
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

I'm actually glad the mods kinda let us hash this out. gluaisrothaii(yeah I copied and pasted that mess ) does raise a few points that I am forced to agree with. You can not deny the pollution these larger cities (especially those in other countries with no regulation oversight) have and it's downright thick! It's easy for me to come down on the far left (as well as the right) but I do see a need for some kind of action. It's just me being one of those constitutional progressive libertarians with a healthy dose of conservatism can't help but to be a little alarmed at how easy it is for this type of oversight to turn into something sinister. The old adage "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" comes to mind.

In the long game, I am glad there has been some control placed on emissions but I'm even more glad I am as far away from blue country as possible.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm actually glad the mods kinda let us hash this out
    I will seal our fate.

FS: this thread
    Price: make an offer
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Nothing witty here lest it offend

As soon as plug and play EDeloreans are somewhat economically feasible, preferably with regen braking, I'll be happy to dump the carb and start saving for a swap. I'm guessing I'll die first.

Some of you guys would hate my garage. We have a 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha with 302K on it that burns a lot of gas and a little oil probably, a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7L Hemi, and a 2020 4Runner TRD Pro. The DeLorean is the most fuel efficient vehicle we own by a long shot.

I also agree I will believe the new DeLorean hype once they start building them. The article makes no mention of the 350hp engine they plan to use or any other details we haven't heard for the past few years.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5312

“It’s crazy how many DeLoreans are used as daily drivers in California,” bwuahaha. I used mine as a daily for awhile, but I lived ALL over, never in my life had i seen another on the road. My local owner group, a grand total of 3 of us here in vb are pretty active now though. Maybe nowdays things have changed there? no idea
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast