FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty 1-21-2020 = DeLorean confirms plans to produce “new” DMC-12s

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The air is always cleaner up in the ivory tower. Everyone listen up, the guy with the kjet DeLorean and private plane is going to lecture us on our carbon footprint.
    I did not mention carbon footprint. Clean air is a very different topic than carbon emissions. Catalyst or not makes no difference to carbon footprint, but having effective emissions controls makes a significant difference to air quality. And yes, private aircraft are carbon heavy, and the exhaust is not great- but there are far fewer aircraft than cars, and the exhaust output from road vehicles is a lot closer to where people breathe.

My kJet DeLorean aced its emissions test- came out cleaner than many newer vehicles- besides which it doesn't get driven all that much. Both my daily drivers are electric. That's not a lecture- it's just how I choose to spend my transportation dollars, and I'm happy to do it in an environmentally responsible and legally compliant fashion.

Best,
    KL
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Translation: Yes my airplane puts out a lot more garbage but I'm way up in the sky so it doesn't matter.

Best MM

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Translation: Yes my airplane puts out a lot more garbage but I'm way up in the sky so it doesn't matter.

Best MM
    Nuances. There are far fewer aircraft than cars; those few aircraft are flown far fewer hours than cars are driven; so while the specific exhaust gas composition is worse than auto exhaust, the volume is orders of magnitude less, and the point of delivery allows for dilution to the point that environmental health is less impacted.

If cars were as scarce as airplanes, they wouldn't need catalysts. If airplanes were as common as cars, they would have catalysts by now. If California rolls back auto emissions regulations, we could be back to the smog filled days of the 70s. When people actually died because of air quality.

Incidentally- I get better than 20mpg cruising lean of peak at 130 knots. That's better than most SUVs and trucks traveling at highway speed. And I get where I'm going less than half the time.

If you want a debate on the merits or otherwise of automotive emissions controls, let's have at it. But please don't take the opportunity to attack my personal lifestyle as a strawman.

Best,
    KL
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Meanwhile, CA still has the highest amount of air pollution in the US.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I just wish I had an airplane so I could be as pure and holy.

3mw0d0.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 01-22-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

My mansion is more efficient than Steve Rice’s outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Because nobody needs to breathe clean air, correct? Having grown up in 80’s Ireland with uncatalyzed leaded petrol engines everywhere, with about a third of my classmates suffering from asthma, I’m somewhat glad to live in a state where clean air is valued higher than the relatively small expense of compliance.

Best,
    KL
    "Somewhat glad"? ����
    Are you somewhat glad that it's warm enough for the homeless to set up camp outside your house?

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    "Somewhat glad"? ����
    Are you somewhat glad that it's warm enough for the homeless to set up camp outside your house?
    Well, since you ask. No. About 1/2 way between where he and I live is probably one of the larger camps in CA. It's everything you can imagine and more.
    And yes, the air here is not good. That's without all the recent fires which have made things oh-so-much-worse.

CA has been criticized for many things over the years, much of it unjustified, but if you want to go on about pollution, homeless and cost of
    living, have at it. I'd probably still choose the earthquakes over the East Coast storms though.

I happen to still agree about the emissions, but that's because I'm hippy.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Meanwhile, CA still has the highest amount of air pollution in the US.
    Parts of southern and central California certainly do, though much of that is due to agriculture and industry. Imagine how much worse that would be without automotive emissions controls. We are fortunate to have relatively clean air on the coast of Northern California, fire events notwithstanding.

Best,
    KL
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Both my daily drivers are electric. . . . . , and I'm happy to do it in an environmentally responsible . . . fashion.

Best,
    KL

Don't read up on how batteries are made and how much coal is burned to create electricity. You will cry. :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast