FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty 1-21-2020 = DeLorean confirms plans to produce “new” DMC-12s

My VIN:    6125

So I was probably wrong on the part about the interior, I missed this paragraph on the first read through:

As the statutory definition refers specifically to the “body” of the original vehicle, we propose that the interior of the replica vehicle does not need to “resemble” that of the original vehicle. NHTSA believes this approach would allow low-volume manufacturers to update the interiors to provide modern amenities and safety improvements.
    That would mean DMCH could go ahead with the custom interior.

Also, this paragraph seems to allow for exceptions to exterior changes (like lowering the front end to a reasonable height) as long as it doesn't have any adverse effects on safetly. I'm assuming minor changes to the height due to lowered suspension would be something that NHTSA would allow and still meet the definition of replica. One could probably argue that the improved handling of the corrected front height would be a safety improvement.

Deviations in the appearance of the exterior would be considered carefully. While reasonable allowances would be made to accommodate safety equipment, NHTSA would consider any unjustified exterior changes (e.g., not for safety) as potential indications that the vehicle is not a replica. If a replica manufacturer wants to make deviations to the exterior of the vehicle to accommodate safety features, it would be required to highlight those deviations for NHTSA's consideration.
    As much as DMCH gets their balls busted around here for the delay, it does suck that they spent so much time and effort into developing a new engine platform only to have the NHTSA guidelines delayed so long that they've now got to start over.
    Last edited by Mark D; 03-03-2020 at 09:05 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1Hy2TKXa4

Sounds like the new DeLorean will be more like 150K rather than 100k...

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's time for DMC to either put up or STFU. I'm sick of hearing this same crap over and over every 6 months. There is nothing wrong with a little hype, but the franchises have been hyping this for well over a decade. I'm sure the publicity is nice but at the end of the day there is a price for all that free advertising....you actually have to make the freaking product!

I would like to not hear one more word out of their mouths until the first car is built. They have exhausted both their supply of promotional baiting and teasing and my supply of good faith.
    I know. Reminds me of Rivian - 10 years and no product in production. (i wish them the best)
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Meanwhile, CA still has the highest amount of air pollution in the US.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Until a full size battery powered car can get me from Western OH to my family in Western NE in less than the 16 hrs it takes now, I'm sticking with gas. It is just not practical for the distances we travel. Ask me again once I retire and don't have limited time off from work to take longer/slower trips.

And asking because I don't know. . .
    How is the life cycle of battery powered cars these days? I don't get a different car every few years. I maintain and drive the snot out of them. My mind goes to phones & the short battery lives those have. Or is that just intentional to entice you into upgrading every 6months to the latest greatest version?
    Long time no talk sir. The Tesla Model S is 393 miles per charge and the Model X ~350 miles. I bought a 2020 Tesla Model 3. Battery life is 300-500K miles currently and they are expecting much more with the new cell designs on the horizon.
    https://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/n...l-technologies

I'm at 8000K miles in 4 months and get ~300 miles per charge at 100% SCO. For long trips I use the supercharger network and see 15-30 minute charge times depending on SOC. I drive a lot and, like you, I plan to drive the snot out of it and report issues with big miles-stones. (100K, 150K, 200K, etc...)
    ~LXA~

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Reviving this tedious thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1Hy2TKXa4

From this video from about 3 weeks ago, SW states the "new" cars will be north of 150K. Also in the background, there's an orange car. I'm not sure if it's an orange DeLorean or a Bricklin,

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

My VIN:    Former Owner

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I signed in after a decade of inactivity to see if someone had posted about this lol. They are truly the kings of wishful thinking

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I signed in after a decade of inactivity to see if someone had posted about this lol. They are truly the kings of wishful thinking
    It's not wishful thinking, it's intentional misdirection. The new law is quite clear that any new car they produce must look like the original design yet they insist on teasing some pic of what looks like a Supra with a pair of doors photoshopped on top. Would you have what few people interested believe you are going to design and build a new car? If/when you do actually nut up and make a "new build" with a modern powerplant, how to you think those interested people will fell about ponying up 6 figures when it looks just like a regular DeLorean and not the car you teased?

Why do this?? You seriously have gone off the deep end. This bullshit alone is enough to make me want to blacklist the old guard vendors and deal strictly with Delorean Industrues and DeLoreango...at least they don't insult our intelligence every 6 months.

In the end, if this ever does come to fruition, the "new build" will be a glorified engine swap and maybe a revamped instrument cluster and a pair of Recaros.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-21-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Josh and DPI are truly innovating the platform and their complete builds are phenomenal. They may not have a "modern" Ford or Toyota V6 but the components used and level of detail make for a gorgeous example of a DMC-12 that JZD would be proud of.
    Fingers crossed one will be under my stewardship on display in my man cave sooner than later.
    ~LXA~

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast