FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Exploded Suspension Polyurethane Bushings

My VIN:    6679

So I have the replacement bushings from Ed - and can now see the originals have definitely compressed and buckled (and per painterdave72 a tiny hole has worn too).

Next dilemma - after finally freeing the rear shocks I see these bushings seem to be sleeved... how the hell do I swap them??? @painterdave72 what did you do to replace yours?

IMG_3017 copy.jpg
    Chris

Okay found the problem - Ed had mentioned something about washers being an issue too and would include replacements for me. They didn't unfortunately come, but it had me thinking looking at that picture... there seems to be what looked like a washer wedged in there. Sure enough, I popped it out... so hence all the problems, too small to be alongside and too large to wedge itself inside hence the damage.

IMG_3018.jpg

So was then able to easily slide out that inner sleeve and rip off the old bushing. Now the final question, how on earth do I push the new bushing in... it's too firm for the wedge to go through. Do I smother it in grease perhaps?

IMG_3021.jpg
    Chris

My VIN:    15275

hi

yes those are a bitch to push in. I heated mine with a heat gun on low setting to soften them up .. then pushed one side in and sort of folded it upon itself a little to push thru. I also used a rounded center punch to push as not to damage it.. works well enough. .I suppose u could use a press but that seems like overkill.. the heat really makes it much more pliable though...hope that helps..

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    I have the same set up. The washer in your pic goes between the nut and another washer, which has a much larger OD. Its OD is about the same as the OD on the tube at the bottom of the shock:

OD.jpg

I agree with Bitsy -- Tighten the nut until the bushing bulges a bit, ~filling the face of the washer.
    (Make sure that the bolt is pulled tight against the rest of the assembly first!)

[IIRC, the torque spec is for OEM types where the washer tightens against the inner spacer and stops at the correct preload automatically.]

P.S. Spray silicone is your friend during assembly.
    Last edited by Ron; 03-14-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

Legends, thanks both of you 👍

IMG_2511.jpg
    Chris

Keep forgetting to update that I finally completed the work and have had her on the road a couple weeks now.

I installed my shock and suspension upgrade a long time back and, while I dialled the hardness down somewhat, was used to the suspension having quite a harsh feel directly into the frame of the car.

To that end switching those top bushings to rubber has been nothing short of amazing - totally and utterly new car. There is no longer the harsh feel of the past - I'm not talking soft suspension, I still have it dialled up, I'm just talking about actual cushioning when hitting something hard like bumps in the road or going up a driveway.

Super happy - albeit still overall pissed that, like everything that goes wrong with DMC parts, we just have to suck it up ourselves really frustrating.
    Chris

My VIN:    11596

Keep forgetting to update that I finally completed the work and have had her on the road a couple weeks now.

I installed my shock and suspension upgrade a long time back and, while I dialled the hardness down somewhat, was used to the suspension having quite a harsh feel directly into the frame of the car.

To that end switching those top bushings to rubber has been nothing short of amazing - totally and utterly new car. There is no longer the harsh feel of the past - I'm not talking soft suspension, I still have it dialled up, I'm just talking about actual cushioning when hitting something hard like bumps in the road or going up a driveway.

Super happy - albeit still overall pissed that, like everything that goes wrong with DMC parts, we just have to suck it up ourselves really frustrating.
    Chris, I'm getting ready to order some parts from DeLoreanGo including the AVO shocks. So if I'm correct, you're using the poly bushings at the bottom of the shocks but you're using the black rubber bushings for the top mounts? On all four shocks? I want a dampened feel, not harsh ride, and if your experience can help someone else it sounds like I should ask for rubber tops instead of poly tops when I order?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Chris, I'm getting ready to order some parts from DeLoreanGo including the AVO shocks. So if I'm correct, you're using the poly bushings at the bottom of the shocks but you're using the black rubber bushings for the top mounts? On all four shocks? I want a dampened feel, not harsh ride, and if your experience can help someone else it sounds like I should ask for rubber tops instead of poly tops when I order?
    Correct - poly bottom, rubber top, all four.

You can dial the shocks to any feel you like - but with the poly bushings there was a harshness transferred directly into the frame, whereas with the rubber it's a totally and utterly different (and glorious) feel. I'd never go poly at the top again personally - regardless of whether they explore or not
    Chris

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

You can dial the shocks to any feel you like - but with the poly bushings there was a harshness transferred directly into the frame, whereas with the rubber it's a totally and utterly different (and glorious) feel. I'd never go poly at the top again personally - regardless of whether they explore or not
    This is good to know, as I HATE how harsh my AVO shocks are up front. Maybe this was my problem all along and I had been blaming my low profile tires and larger wheels.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Did Ed provide or did you source the rubber bushings else where? (Energy Suspension / Summit Racing, etc ?)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast