FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Exploded Suspension Polyurethane Bushings

My VIN:    02766

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Did Ed provide or did you source the rubber bushings else where? (Energy Suspension / Summit Racing, etc ?)
    Glad I came across this thread- Im in the process of a frame off restoration and havent even driven on this suspension yet and here is what it looks like. This is just from sitting parked in the shop... very frustrating to spend that kind of money on performance parts that apparently had a flaw in them. I coated these in energy suspension grease before installing for the sole purpose of not having something like this happen. Anyone know what the warranty is on these? I have no intentions on spending money with the vendor I got these from to purchase replacement parts on something that shouldn't have broken like that to begin with. Thanks for the tip on the front suspension- going to be ordering those bushings soon from D-GO.

suspension1.jpg
    suspension2.jpg
    Living the Dream... on sunny days and weekends

My VIN:    4978

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Last week I was driving and could hear some rattling when I would go over bumps. First I thought it was the louvres rattling, but when I got out and started pushing on the suspension I could hear it. These were installed in 2014 by DMC FL with the Eibach Performance Pro-Kit. Eibach doesn't list any of the individual parts and I was able to get a temporary solution from O'Reilly until the rubber bushings from DeLoreanGo arrive.
    Anyone with these red polyurethane bushings, be warned that they could go at any time.
    IMG_8672.jpg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

AVO Polyurethane bushing failure

Well, I'll add my experience to this thread.
    I also suffered top polyurethane bushing failure in July 2021 on AVO shocks installed in September 2015. It has been almost 6 years, but only 3,000 miles. Of the two per shock, as reported above the uppermost rear bushing exploded and the bottom one was cracked. The front bushings were also cracked.

Here are the rear bushings or what's left of them:

Here was the carnage on the uppermost rear AVO polyurethane bushing after it disentegrated/exploded:

Here is the bottom rear upper AVO polyurethane bushing cracked:

Here is the front uppermost AVO polyurethane bushing cracked:

The other ones were not as hard as they were originally, so clearly they are breaking down.

Original install in September 2015:

I chose rubber replacement bushings #109087 from DeLoreanGo:

Here are the rear rubber bushings installed. I used 13 ft/lbs torque on the nut, as the OEM 20 ft/lbs was too much torque for this application:

Here are the front bushings installed:

If you have these polyurethane bushings, I would replace them before they fail.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I recently installed the AVO shocks from DeLoreango. I was indeed warned by a well respected vendor the bushings had a reputation for premature failure but were not that hard to replace. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them. After reading this thread, I have to wonder why people would replace any rubber bushing with poly. Seems like it causes more problems...in fact it seems like it accelerates the problem they were supposed to solve.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I recently installed the AVO shocks from DeLoreango. I was indeed warned by a well respected vendor the bushings had a reputation for premature failure but were not that hard to replace. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them. After reading this thread, I have to wonder why people would replace any rubber bushing with poly. Seems like it causes more problems...in fact it seems like it accelerates the problem they were supposed to solve.
    I agree. I installed polyurethane bushings on my V8 Fiero 20+ years ago, and in terms or ride quality, I forgot how harsh they were. I test drove the DeLorean today after the work, and like Tillsey reported above, it made quite a difference. There is a noticeable improvement in cushioning against road imperfections. Before, no matter how much I dialed down the shock settings, a drive down a brick street telegraphed every crack through the car. That's gone now, and the car has a more balanced feel of tightness you'd expect from a sport suspension without the harshness. I'm really happy.

Bottom line, I still really like the AVO shocks and I'd buy them again, but I wish I'd discovered these 8 little rubber bushing replacements sooner.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

In addition to the 109087 rubber bushings, do you also need the 10989 washers. I have the AVO shocks. And can the top bushings be replaced without removing the shock (car on lift with spring extended)? I recall the bottom connection was tight to install.

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 07-18-2021 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    In addition to the 109087 rubber bushings, do you also need the 10989 washers. I have the AVO shocks. And can the top bushings be replaced without removing the shock (car on lift with spring extended)? I recall the bottom connection was tight to install.

Ron
    If your AVO washers are still good, you don't need washer 109089. I confirmed that these are identical to the AVO washers and the rubber replacement bushings fit nicely with them.
    The front bushings can be replaced without taking the spring out. With the car on jackstands or a lift, just lift each front side up with a jack under the lower ball joint enough to relieve the pressure on the top 9/16" nuts. Then, remove the nuts and next the lower bolt and slide the shock out the bottom.
    For the rear you would do the same thing to relieve the pressure, but you'll need spring compressors to lower the coil over unit down enough to replace the bushings.
    I used the Workshop Manual torque specs on the lower bolts.
    Dana

On polyurethane bushings,

Polyurethane should last way longer than rubber. In the OP issue, I suspect that company mixed a bad batch. Of course they probably made hundreds of bushings with that batch. They may keep selling till they run out.

Now having said that, you might think I endorse them. I do not. Polyurethane bushings have almost no give to them. The whole purpose of a rubber bushing is to isolate the part alittle. That's why people complain of vibrations. You might as well mount it solid. I've seen polyurethane bushings crack steel in some locations where the rubber never would have.

There maybe a few locations where going poly makes sense, but not many.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    On polyurethane bushings,

Polyurethane should last way longer than rubber. In the OP issue, I suspect that company mixed a bad batch. Of course they probably made hundreds of bushings with that batch. They may keep selling till they run out.

Now having said that, you might think I endorse them. I do not. Polyurethane bushings have almost no give to them. The whole purpose of a rubber bushing is to isolate the part alittle. That's why people complain of vibrations. You might as well mount it solid. I've seen polyurethane bushings crack steel in some locations where the rubber never would have.

There maybe a few locations where going poly makes sense, but not many.
    i used to think this way. However I installed a full poly setup (superflex) in my rear suspension to combat wheel hop issues. They ride better than stock. Especially with the awful failing TAB bushings we have available now, this is a great alternative.

These AVO poly bushings are a known failure item, they messed something up.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4