Thread: Exploded Suspension Polyurethane Bushings

My VIN:    5191

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by thibaut View Post
    Legend - thank you, ordered 👍
    Chris

Hi guys, quick question.

With the old poly upper shock bushings I remember it was a piece of cake torquing the nut to whatever spec the shocks said they needed.

Now that I'm fitting rubber bushings instead I am going via the DMC workshop manual which says 28Nm (20Ft/lb). However because the rubber compresses so well I am finding I can just keep tightening and tightening without a trigger at even 10Nm, in fact best I can get is 5Nm.

Do I just keep going - am I being overly cautious here, just worries me it is compressing right down by at 10Nm still no pulse yet... I know there's two bushings to compress but still 20Nm seems it must be insanely tight....
    IMG_2401.jpg
    Chris

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Hi guys, quick question.

With the old poly upper shock bushings I remember it was a piece of cake torquing the nut to whatever spec the shocks said they needed.

Now that I'm fitting rubber bushings instead I am going via the DMC workshop manual which says 28Nm (20Ft/lb). However because the rubber compresses so well I am finding I can just keep tightening and tightening without a trigger at even 10Nm, in fact best I can get is 5Nm.

Do I just keep going - am I being overly cautious here, just worries me it is compressing right down by at 10Nm still no pulse yet... I know there's two bushings to compress but still 20Nm seems it must be insanely tight....
    IMG_2401.jpg
    I just tighten the nut till the bushings look fairly well compressed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thank you - fronts now complete. Those were still intact but I did them first to ensure the new rubber ones matched the size of the former polys, since the rears don't even exist anymore!

So I've now taken apart the rears - thankfully the hole wasn't widened but the paint was removed from the frame, so in progress of fixing that.

However whilst in there I noticed something concerning, the poly bushing for the bottom of the shock seems to have some room for play... it has flexed around a bit. Still intact thankfully as doesn't appear I can buy replacements for those, but I'm a bit stunned there is room to move (not that I can as it is under pressure, but this still doesn't look right).

I can't find the original install/spec notes for those shocks so I don't know what they were meant to be torqued to - so consulted the DMC workshop manual for the standard specs and they aren't listed in the rear suspension section. Anyone know what this should be torqued to? Although whatever it is is what I would have done at the time - perhaps some friction caused my tool to prematurely trigger early... although BOTH sides are like this so that doesn't sound right...

IMG_2942.jpg
    Chris

My VIN:    15275

hi

chris.. contact ed uding and he can sell u a set of those. mine did the same thing on the bottom ones and had a hole rubbed in the top inside of them.. Dave..

My VIN:    03572

Those rear bushings do not look like they are the correct part. Maybe they were not installed in the right direction and the nut was not tightened enough.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Those rear bushings do not look like they are the correct part. Maybe they were not installed in the right direction and the nut was not tightened enough.
    I don't have a photograph with me, but when originally installed they sat beautifully flush they didn't look anything like the buckled mess they are now
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    chris.. contact ed uding and he can sell u a set of those. mine did the same thing on the bottom ones and had a hole rubbed in the top inside of them.. Dave..
    So Ed has confirmed there was a bad batch of these many years ago. Great
    Chris

So this is the only real picture I could find from my original install where I could zoom in on these bushings.

They look fine here - exactly as I remembered, a perfect fit after torquing.

So regardless of a flaw, I still don't get how they've ended up as they are with so much room.... you can see the nut is still in the same position, has the bushing compressed or something?!

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 7.13.11 pm.jpg
    Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast