FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Finally Making a Post - Starting to Get Serious About Buying a D

I'm Finally Making a Post - Starting to Get Serious About Buying a D

Hello,

I have lurked here for a number of years but finally decided to make a post.

Ever since I was a kid, I have been fascinated by Delorean's. In high school, a buddy's dad had one and after riding around in it a couple times...I fell in love and decided someday I would own one of my own. Now, nearly 20 years later, I think that day is only a couple years away so I need to start really learning the finer details of these cars and deciding exactly what I want...and what I don't want. I already have some cash set aside and I am planning on selling one of my "fun" cars once I am ready to seriously make this purchase. But, there is a lot of learning to do.

From my basic research, it appears that factory options on these cars were rather limited. From what I can tell, the options were: automatic vs. manual transmission and grey vs. black interior. Everything else was pretty much standard. Is that accurate? With that in mind, based on the cars I have seen I think I like the grey interior better. Is one more popular/valuable than the other? For transmission I'm 100% a 5-speed car guy, I won't buy an automatic. Does one tend to sell for more than the other?

As I understand it, the majority of variations on these cars comes from design changes made throughout the run of production. I know there are a bunch of them...but the one's that really stand out to me are the hood and the antenna. I know I don't like the look of the cars with the antenna in the front fender and I don't care for the later flat hood. I know the gas-flap hood is popular, but I have heard mixed things about it. I have heard that they can rattle while driving down the road and they negatively impact the look of the car. On the other hand, they make refueling much more simple as you don't have to open the hood.

What are the thoughts on the gas flap hood? Are they really more desirable and how much do they affect the value? Do they rattle? Can someone give me some pros/cons on this feature?

The only other thing that I really don't like that I have seen is some cars have a wide black stripe on the side. As I understand it, this was a dealer option. I don't care for this look and much prefer the thin trim.

Also, I would prefer a clean mostly original driver...doesn't have to be a pristine show car. I don't care for or need the performance upgrades or any of that. I'd like to find one pretty much stock.

So, based on my early research I here is where I think I stand:

Must Haves
    5-speed
    Good Condition, Clean Interior, Mostly Stock Driver
    Grey Interior (I think)
    Original

Unsure Of
    Gas-Flap vs. No Gas Flap

Must Not Have
    Fixed Antenna on Front Fender
    Non-Grooved Hood
    No Wide Stripe on Side

As I begin to research this further, I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Any suggestions on resources to learn more about these cars...other than just reading the forum which I have already begun to do. If anyone has any specific threads I should read please let me know.

Is the car I have described here unusual or difficult to find? Obviously due diligence will need to be done on any prospective purchase, but I'm not looking for a "unicorn" am I? Am I being realistic?

What can I expect for maintenance? Are these cars hard/expensive to keep on the road if being using as a weekend/nice weather driver? My expectation would be to put no more than 1000 miles on the car per year.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I can see interior color and transmission as being deal breakers, but everything else is subordinate to the condition and price of the car.

My VIN:    03500

There are cars with grooved hood's and antenna in the back but are harder to find. For a non gas flap hood getting gas you get use to it. Dealing with a busy gas station and the people it will draw is another.

Good luck!
    Dave B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Finding a DeLorean in any combination of styles/options is not hard to do at all. As long as you are willing to meet the seller's price, you should have no issues whatsoever. There is no shortage of good condition cars for sale. Check at DMC Florida, they always have quite a few in stock.

In the span of a month or 2, the perfect car will be available for purchase if it isn't already.

PS: Original and daily driver. You got to choose. You can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-02-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Also, to my understanding an antenna hole on the hood can be welded over and indecernable from a stock hood by the average Joe. So then you could just make a hole in the rear or put in an antenna windshield.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As for gas flap hood, I personally like the look of no flap and it hasn't been a hassle opening the whole hood to fill the tank. I don't think having the hood up draws more attention than the doors being up (or the car in general), so it wouldn't be a con to not have a flap in my book.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    For a non gas flap hood getting gas you get use to it. Dealing with a busy gas station and the people it will draw is another.
    It seems like opening the hood is a minor inconvenience. At first, I thought a gas flap hood was a must but the more I think about it the less important it seems. Plus, I think it negative affects the lines of the hood. Gas stations are an issue anyway. I live in the great state of Oregon...home of not being allowed to pump your own gas. So, even slow stations can be an issue as you have to wait for an attendant and interesting cars always draw people in. I had a 1969 Camaro SS396 for years and lately my "fun" car has been an Indy 500 Pace Car. So, attention is just part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PS: Original and daily driver. You got to choose. You can't have it both ways.
    Original is key for me. I have no intention of it being a daily driver. More of a weekend/nice weather fun car. Probably will do less than 1000 miles a year.

My VIN:    5312

the 2 mins to lift the hood to gas up occasionally is hardly a big deal.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    2 mins? More like 4 secs!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    You mean 2 seconds right?

I never got the hood issue myself. It never bothered me my hood is flat as I really like the Delorean badge and let's face it, the grooves make it hard to put a badge on and it not look out of place. If I had a flap and/or grooved hood I would be just as content. Sure I have my preference but in the big picture, hood styles, interior color, even drivetrains pale in comparison to overall condition with me. I wanted a black interior flapped hood 5 speed, I got a black interior flat hood auto because I didn't let nuances prevent me from scoring a first class car. Actually the only original part of my car is the vin plates. Nobody has noticed or cared yet.

20200113_202255.jpg
    20200115_175551.jpg
    20200108_203153.jpg
    20200103_181044.jpg

My advice is A: Don't worry too much about originality. 40 year old injector lines can burn a car to the ground on a 1,000 mile per year car too. B: Don't let details deter you from an otherwise nice car vs. buying a rougher car that has what you want. I would much rather replace an antenna fender or a flat hood or peel off a stripe than replace the cylinder liners. I mean how much fun is that gas flap if you can't take it to the gas station?

Edit: sometimes though you can have your cake and eat it too

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...xcellent-condi
    Last edited by Michael; 02-02-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast