FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How To: Delorean Factory Motorola Alternator Restoration

My VIN:    SCEDT26T8BD004207

bearing seals

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Finished assembling the alternator and installed it. My advice for anyone attempting to rebuild either the Motorola or the Ducy is, it is not worth it. Even when working perfectly they are marginal at best (the Ducy even more so). The Delorean vendors don't have parts and encourage outright replacement with something more modern and powerful. Good advice. Easily done with minor to no modifications necessary. The only good reason to keep the original alternator is for originality if that means anything. For the record the Motorola is a 9AR. The front bearing is a 6203 and the rear is a 6200. The suffices are for the seals in the bearings and they really don't matter much in this application. The brushholder and the regulator is generic and available. If the rotor or the stator or the diode bridge is bad it doesn't pay to rebuild. I spent about $20 for the two bearings and the brushholder. The assembly and disassembly were pretty as described in the video. A replacement alternator is over $200 but you do get a better alternator.
    Bearings seals do matter. They keep out dust (there is large amount of air being pulled through the alternator with accompanying dust) they also retain the grease in the bearing.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by hjhjr View Post
    Bearings seals do matter. They keep out dust (there is large amount of air being pulled through the alternator with accompanying dust) they also retain the grease in the bearing.
    What I should have said is that just about any bearing you buy, unless you special order it, will have some kind of seal. The suffix says what kind of seal, if both sides are sealed, etc. You should have some seal, not only to keep the dust out, it also keeps the lubrication in. The way the bearings are located inside the housings you won't get a whole lot of air through the bearings. In fact, because of where the alternator is located you don't get enough air through it which is part of the problem. Makes it run hotter than it should. Thanks for the correction.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    011613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Sorry, I was getting zero notifications about replies.
    Jordan 011613

"CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPT CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT!!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2