FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain Refurb questions

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Old rear main out, and new one installed into the backing plate.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the backing plate hardware? Or even the flywheel bolts or the pressure plate bolts? What kind of Loctite do I need to use on this stuff? Blue 242 or Red 271?

Also - I was going to seal up the backing plate with the Right Stuff w/o the paper gasket. Can anyone tell me if I should apply the Right stuff in a continuous bead or just do the smear job on both surfaces? I don't want this sucker to leak anymore!
    the backing plate should be sealed with hylomar on the vertical surface and with anerobic sealant on the bottom edge. the bottom edge is critical for aligment on the driveshaft, so that the seal is centered, you dont want any sealant in that gap, causing it to sit "too high" or out of alignment.

the flywheel bolt spec is in the manual- 45 ft-lbs
    the pressure plate 6 allen head bolts is 15 ft lbs
    the backing plate allen head bolts are ....i cant find this right now.
    Member- Norcal Delorean Owners Group
    Owner- Vin 2855 "The Mongoose DeLorean"

Follow the Mongoose DeLorean on Facebook here
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Mongoos...01004553571091

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    the backing plate should be sealed with hylomar on the vertical surface and with anerobic sealant on the bottom edge. the bottom edge is critical for aligment on the driveshaft, so that the seal is centered, you dont want any sealant in that gap, causing it to sit "too high" or out of alignment.

the flywheel bolt spec is in the manual- 45 ft-lbs
    the pressure plate 6 allen head bolts is 15 ft lbs
    the backing plate allen head bolts are ....i cant find this right now.
    Do you have any pictures of this? Wouldn't the thickness of the anerobic sealant on the bottom edge be just the same as any other sealant? as long as all of the backing plate mount holes line up, I should be good right?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Wouldn't the thickness of the anerobic sealant on the bottom edge be just the same as any other sealant? as long as all of the backing plate mount holes line up, I should be good right?
    no, and no.

Its whats in the service manual.

also, you need to tighten the two longer bolts from the bottom first, then the ones around the flange.
    Member- Norcal Delorean Owners Group
    Owner- Vin 2855 "The Mongoose DeLorean"

Follow the Mongoose DeLorean on Facebook here
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Mongoos...01004553571091

Flywheel back from being re-surfaced! Big difference. Now I can get the flywheel, pilot bearing and clutch installed. Next, I move my attention to the transmission.....
    Attached Images
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Flywheel back from being re-surfaced! Big difference. Now I can get the flywheel, pilot bearing and clutch installed. Next, I move my attention to the transmission.....
    Looks good! Did the machine shop give the 3 dowel pins to you separately? (I don't see them in the finished product, but maybe they are in the bag above.)
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Looks good! Did the machine shop give the 3 dowel pins to you separately? (I don't see them in the finished product, but maybe they are in the bag above.)
    yeah, I have them. I just need to tap them back in.

Lot's of work done! The Transmission is apart!

I found a sheared part of a roll pin when I took it apart. Not sure which gear its from, but just glancing looks like it was the 2nd gear roll pin.

Can you guys tell anything by looking at the end of the output shaft nuts? do they look proper? or do I just need to torque them down?
    Attached Images

So..after removing the gears from the side of the transmission housing and placing them aside, I picked up the casing and found a ball bearing underneath it. Where in the heck does it go?? I cant find it anywhere in the diagrams...Ö sorta freaking out here.

The pic is the side of transmission casing that I lifted up. The ball bearing was beneath it.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    15275

ball bearing..

it should be for the 5tth gear detent I believe

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    it should be for the 5tth gear detent I believe
    Unfortunatly not...... I have the 5th gear spring and ball detent set aside and accounted for.

This one came from somewhere else....

Maybe from under one of the other shift forks?
    Last edited by Trstno1; 03-21-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast