FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain Refurb questions

My VIN:    5625

I only removed the 5th gear ball detention on purpose prior to cracking the case open. Looking online, they say you are supposed to have 5 ball detents in the photo, but i only count 4. I’m not even sure how to check the other ball detents to see if they are there. Anyone have any insight on this one?
    Attached Images
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Unfortunatly not...... I have the 5th gear spring and ball detent set aside and accounted for.

This one came from somewhere else....

Maybe from under one of the other shift forks?
    Hi. Yes, if you removed a shift fork, there is a spring and ball bearing in a moulded cavity underneath the shift rod. To reinstall it, put the spring in the cavity, and the ball bearing on top. Then depress the ball bearing with a wooden dowel (or similar tool) while sliding the shift rod back in place. Once the rod passes the ball bearing, it will hold the ball in place. Be sure to lube with gear oil.

This is the hole where you press with the dowel:
    image.jpg
    Last edited by DMC-81; 03-21-2020 at 09:41 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi. Yes, if you removed a shift fork, there is a spring and ball bearing in a moulded cavity underneath the shift rod. To reinstall it, put the spring in the cavity, and the ball bearing on top. Then depress the ball bearing with a wooden dowel (or similar tool) while sliding the shift rod back in place. Once the rod passes the ball bearing, it will hold in place. Be sure to lube with gear oil.
    Uh oh.....i wonder if I’m missing a spring now.....dang! I was moving the rods all over the place trying to figure out how to remove them. Still haven’t figured that out....

The manual doesn’t cover this part very well. Is there any literature or video of servicing the shift rods? Removal/re-installation sort of stuff, etc.? I’m not even sure how to replace the roll pins for 2nd gear. Can you pound the pin out with a punch and simply install another one behind it? Are the pins supposed to be equidistant through the shift rod?
    Last edited by Trstno1; 03-21-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Looks like I forgot to post the pics of the output shaft nuts and the 2nd gear roll pins. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images

Uh oh.....i wonder if I’m missing a spring now.....dang! I was moving the rods all over the place trying to figure out how to remove them. Still haven’t figured that out....

The manual doesn’t cover this part very well. Is there any literature or video of servicing the shift rods? Removal/re-installation sort of stuff, etc.? I’m not even sure how to replace the roll pins for 2nd gear. Can you pound out the pin with a punch and simply install another one?
    The spring may still be in the cavity. If you have the 5th gear detent ball accounted for, and the only other one moved was the reverse rod, then check that. Slide it out until you can see in the cavity through the the access hole. Cover the hole while you do this in case a ball /spring is ejected from it. You'll probably see just the spring in the cavity.

To completely remove the rod, you punch out all the pins, and slide the rod back from the case while catching the detent ball with your other hand.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 03-21-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Adding content
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Looks like I forgot to post the pics of the output shaft nuts and the 2nd gear roll pins. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks for the pictures. The fork should be inside the larger roll pin, and the pin should be flush with the fork without causing clearance issues with the gear that will be below it. It also looks like there is a missing smaller pin, unless it is not visible.

There should be 2 smaller pins and one bigger pin that holds the fork within its range of movement (so that it can give a little against the spring).

Here is a picture of my 1-2 shift fork. Note the orientation of the pins so that the open part of the pin is away from where it has to hold the fork. Also note the 2 even smaller pins inside the 2 smaller pins. This is how you strengthen/renforce them.

Last edited by DMC-81; 03-21-2020 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Adding content
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    The spring may still be in the cavity. If you have the 5th gear detent ball accounted for, and the only other one moved was the reverse rod, then check that. Slide it out until you can see in the cavity through the the access hole. Cover the hole while you do this in case a ball /spring is ejected from it. You'll probably see just the spring in the cavity.

To completely remove the rod, you punch out all the pins, and slide the rod back from the case while catching the detent ball with your other hand.
    You sir are a genius! I moved the reverse rod enough that the ball detent fell out through the reverse switch hole and under the casing. I moved the rods, saw the spring, put the ball detent back in/doweled and its all back in safe and sound. How that spring didn’t shoot out I’ll never know.... Atleast now I can sleep tonight! Thank you!
    Attached Images

Ok. I now know where 4 of the ball detents go. DMC online says that there are 5, where is the last one? Or is that a mistake? I just want to make sure I keep track of all the parts....
    Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

FWIW- "103123 BALL DETENT" is listed only 4 times in the parts manual...

Awesome! Thank you! I was hoping I didn't lose another one of those guys somewhere.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast