FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain Refurb questions

My VIN:    5625

Drivetrain Refurb questions

I’m about to pull my manual transmission to do a bunch of work on 5625. I was going to replace the clutch, rear main seal, clutch master, clutch slave, clutch line from plastic to braided, and potentially crack the transmission open to change out the 2nd gear roll pin.

This is all to fix a rear main seal leak, a clutch slave cylinder leak, and an issue with shifting into 2nd gear when the vehicle is cold.

What are the things I need to take special attention to while doing to prevent more issues than I want?

Will I need to drain the engine oil prior to pulling the rear main seal?

Does anyone have pictures on how they braced the engine prior to pulling the transmission?

Does anyone have pictures on exactly what to disconect on the cross gate cable as to not screw up the adjustments?

As always, thank you in advance for all your help!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I’m about to pull my manual transmission to do a bunch of work on 5625. I was going to replace the clutch, rear main seal, clutch master, clutch slave, clutch line from plastic to braided, and potentially crack the transmission open to change out the 2nd gear roll pin.

This is all to fix a rear main seal leak, a clutch slave cylinder leak, and an issue with shifting into 2nd gear when the vehicle is cold.

What are the things I need to take special attention to while doing to prevent more issues than I want?

Will I need to drain the engine oil prior to pulling the rear main seal?

Does anyone have pictures on how they braced the engine prior to pulling the transmission?

Does anyone have pictures on exactly what to disconect on the cross gate cable as to not screw up the adjustments?

As always, thank you in advance for all your help!

I also had issues with 2nd gear. I replaced the roll pin because I was in the transmission at one time fixing some other damaged items. However my issues remained. It wasn't until I installed a new crossgate cable (101363), bushing kit (K100776) and adjusted everything, that I finally solved my 2nd gear issues. It was a huge difference shifting with these new parts.
    Last edited by dn010; 02-05-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I also had issues with 2nd gear. I replaced the roll pin because I was in the transmission at one time fixing some other damaged items. However my issues remained. It wasn't until I installed a new crossgate cable (101363), bushing kit (K100776) and adjusted everything, that I finally solved my 2nd gear issues. It was a huge difference shifting with these new parts.
    Huh...interesting. What was your original 2nd gear issue? The same as mine? I seem to only have issues when the vehicle is cold. When it warms up, no issues at all getting it into 2nd.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

When cold, it would either not go into gear or grind terribly, so much that I would skip 2nd gear altogether it was that bad. When everything was warm I would still sometimes have an issue downshifting into second where I would think it was in gear but once I hit the gas it would just rev. Now it goes into gear and doesn't grind regardless of temp and I don't have to force the shifter.

Your combination of leaking slave cylinder, plastic line, worn bushings or a misadjustment might be enough to cause issues until the gear oil has warmed up.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

You may want to read my thread when I pulled the tranny.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...-replace/page3
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

i just refreshed my transmission replaced the 2nd gear pin and red loctited the two big nuts on the end.

if you are pulling the transmission.....and these two things have not yet been done- then do it.

my 15K mile car - the 2nd gear roll pin was bent on the top side, and broken off (and stuck to the magnet inside) on the bottom side.
    my large shaft nuts were not very tight but had not yet backed off.

you need several tools to do the job, best to get the Renault transmission manual for un1 and un5 transmissions, as the DMC does not have all the details.

Mark

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I also had shifting problems with my car when I got it. , 2nd gear going into 3rd gear and popping out of 5th gear. . When I change transmission fluid from regular gear oil to Redline MTL, The shifting improve greatly in 2nd and 3rd when cold and hot.

Eventually, I did a full transmission reseal and freshening. . My second gear roll pins were all broken. So fixing that and reinforcing them really improve second gear. . My 5th gear still had issues popping out on deceleration. That was not fixed until I rebuilt the shifter mechanism. In the front of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You may want to read my thread when I pulled the tranny.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...-replace/page3
    Will do, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    i just refreshed my transmission replaced the 2nd gear pin and red loctited the two big nuts on the end.

if you are pulling the transmission.....and these two things have not yet been done- then do it.

my 15K mile car - the 2nd gear roll pin was bent on the top side, and broken off (and stuck to the magnet inside) on the bottom side.
    my large shaft nuts were not very tight but had not yet backed off.

you need several tools to do the job, best to get the Renault transmission manual for un1 and un5 transmissions, as the DMC does not have all the details.

Mark
    Wow! That tranny looks beautiful! I sure wish I had the time to make that happen! When you say several tools, what do you mean? specialty tools? Also, did you make any videos cataloging your refurb?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you have trouble with 2nd gear all the time you probably need the roll pin. If it only happens when cold, you should switch to Redline. Check for any worn or loose parts in the shift linkage. Get the 2 big nuts really tight and use Locktite. Check the mounts for cracks. Some of the vendors sell a pin to put INSIDE the new roll pin (a smaller one) just to make it stronger. Make sure the 5th gear fork is not bent. Watch out for the detent springs and balls.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast