FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain Refurb questions

My VIN:    5625

Also...any thoughts on replacing the lip seal on the input shaft? Do I need to pound out the pin in the input shift coupler to uninstall and reinstall or simply pull the old one over the coupler?
    Attached Images
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's the outer bearing race and it should come out without pounding, just some light encouragement with a blunt, soft punch and small hammer. Do not hit it on the bearing surface.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It's the outer bearing race and it should come out without pounding, just some light encouragement with a blunt, soft punch and small hammer. Do not hit it on the bearing surface.

Which direction does the bearing race come out? Do i pop it out from inside of the case outward, or the opposite?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Alright guys.... so I took off the diff adjustment nut to get the case ready for soda blasting and I see what looks like a bearing race right beneath it. I don’t even see that part online. What are the chances I can tape it up to prevent damage from the blasting, and leave it right where it sits? Thoughts?
    I would tape it off and avoid removing it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Since the larger surface is towards the outside, remove the adjuster nut and hit it inwards evenly.
    David Teitelbaum

Also...any thoughts on replacing the lip seal on the input shaft? Do I need to pound out the pin in the input shift coupler to uninstall and reinstall or simply pull the old one over the coupler?
    Yes, you need to remove the coupler to replace the input shaft seal. Pound out the pin and the input shaft will likely be easy to remove, but the coupler may have to be pressed or otherwise persuaded off the other shaft (with the gears on it).
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Since the larger surface is towards the outside, remove the adjuster nut and hit it inwards evenly.
    +1 (Stressing, "evenly";-)

...Keep the race mated with its bearing.

Maybe tape off all of the mating surfaces before blasting depending on the soda...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1 (Stressing, "evenly";-)

...Keep the race mated with its bearing.

Maybe tape off all of the mating surfaces before blasting depending on the soda...
    Exactly. This was tedious when I replaced the 2 carrier bearings. It is very easy to get it uneven. Also, removing that race may impact the setting on the differential nut. This is why I advise not removing it if you can avoid it.

I used a special tool to reinstall the new one:
    Last edited by DMC-81; 03-24-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Exactly. This was tedious when I replaced the 2 carrier bearings. It is very easy to get it uneven. Also, removing that race may impact the setting on the differential nut. This is why I advise not removing it if you can avoid it.

I used a special tool to reinstall the new one:

What is the part number of the "special tool"? I was trying to read it from the picture but cannot get anything on google to come up. What size is the race driver?
    Last edited by Trstno1; 03-24-2020 at 03:22 PM.

What is the part number of the "special tool"? I was trying to read it from the picture but cannot get anything on google to come up. What size is the race driver?
    Here you go:
    https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...ler/391360_0_0

I was able to borrow it from AutoZone.
    Dana

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast