FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Best route for wires from transmission to dashboard?

My VIN:    16795

Best route for wires from transmission to dashboard?

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to run a wire from the transmission to up under the dashboard? Is there a good way to do it without drilling a new hole in the body? The angle drive self destructed yet again so I'm installing a Speedbox unit driven by a hall effect sensor looking at the passenger side output shaft. My current thought is drill a hole into the battery area, and from there up under the back shelf and then under the center console up to the front.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

There are already wires going through the bulkhead for the ECUs behind the driver's seat. Admittedly, since I did an EFI conversion those holes weren't used anymore, but you may be able to run your wires through the same holes, if there aren't connectors on them yet.

I did a similar Hall pickup, but on the driver's side axle, and I ran the wires through there. I built a digital display for a speedometer rather than tying it to the analog one (I'll be doing a digital dash at some point, so fixing the analog one wasn't as interesting as designing a digital input). http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs...al-speedometer Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of where the wires run through the bulkhead.

I have other wires that I ran through the passenger side. For those I did drill a hole through the wall. I don't think there are any existing holes you can use on that side, but I could be wrong.

In both cases, my wires came in behind the parcel shelf. The passenger side ones (where I drilled a hole) are behind the backing, and I just ran them through the relay compartment and along the edge of the center console/arm rest thing. The driver's side hole exits by the ECUs, lower than you might expect and above the lock box behind the driver's seat. I again ran the wires along the center console to get them to the front of the car when needed. It's easier with the center console out, but you can do it with it in place. I think hard part is getting the wire under the wood at the front of the parcel shelf, since there are already a lot of wires tucked in there.

-- Joe

I ended up running the wire into the car interior via the same hole the battery ground cable goes though. I drilled a small hole in the top of the battery compartment, fed the wire through there to under the parcel shelf, and then under the center console up to the front. Found my missing 10mm socket underneath the center console. Oops.

The Speedbox + sensor setup works well. No waiting for GPS lock before the speedometer will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

The Speedbox + sensor setup works well. No waiting for GPS lock before the speedometer will work.
    I’m running SpeedBox with GPS input and I’ve never had the speedometer not work immediately. I wired mine to have constant power so that may be why.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

As said above it is not necessary to run a physical VSS with a speedbox. It is GPS based.

You can run a VSS as a secondary feed if you are driving through a tunnel or something that would cause the GPS to lose signal, but it just stas at the last current speed so its really no big deal.

Furthermore, wiring a hall sensor to the speedbox likely will do nothing. If you insist on doing this i would suggest something like this screwed in place of the angle drive.
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd916.htm

I read somewhere that someone sourced a speed sensor off of a Volkswagen car that screwed right in.

Edit: looks like you already did it. Enjoy the working speedometer.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Furthermore, wiring a hall sensor to the speedbox likely will do nothing.
    Why do you say that? It definitely works. I get accurate speed indication even before GPS sync. I don't have the hot start lead on the speedbox wired, and even after sitting off overnight the instant the key is turned the speedometer starts reading accurately. Interestingly, when first installed it was reading about 2.5x actual speed until it got GPS sync and did the initial calibration. I guess it starts out with some default VSS calibration.

And if there is a world war and the major powers take out each other GPS systems, at least the speedometer in my DeLorean will keep working.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Why do you say that? It definitely works. I get accurate speed indication even before GPS sync. I don't have the hot start lead on the speedbox wired, and even after sitting off overnight the instant the key is turned the speedometer starts reading accurately. Interestingly, when first installed it was reading about 2.5x actual speed until it got GPS sync and did the initial calibration. I guess it starts out with some default VSS calibration.

And if there is a world war and the major powers take out each other GPS systems, at least the speedometer in my DeLorean will keep working.
    yeah i edited the post after i saw you got it working.

It seems like extra effort to wire in the sensor for little reward. I have the hot start lead hooked up and running gps only, No complaints about battery drain or performance.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It seems like extra effort to wire in the sensor for little reward. I have the hot start lead hooked up and running gps only, No complaints about battery drain or performance.
    For some reason it just really bothered me that I would need a global satellite network just to know how fast my car is going.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We stopped offering angle drives completely and now offer the same spindle shaft left/right deleting it completely on our builds. I ran a speedhut unit in one of our mules for a while and it is extremely robust. We now install the speedhut units with hot start enabled and have had zero issues. Definitely the future and the only way to go.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters