FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I don’t believe it’s possible to have a rear main seal not leak

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    The paper test is only going to work on cars that don't have the entire PCV system built in to the oil cap.

On a B28F, if you remove the oil cap you will only find positive pressure at the fill port unless the engine is off
    Good point!

...but now I'm pondering on exactly what happens to pressure built up in a recently cooled fuel tank, before the next purge...

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ...but now I'm pondering on exactly what happens to pressure built up in a recently cooled fuel tank, before the next purge...
    Passes through the charcoal canister matrix and out of the bottom filter, then through the tube poking out of the pontoon. It's not sealed.

Not exactly the same but close enough:
    http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528004e5c9.gif

I had to relocate my canister and disturbed it a bit too much. Still finding little bits of charcoal inside the pontoon.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10644

If this component is the flame arrestor, I see no way to open it to clean it. I don’t notice any resistance when blowing into one tube while plugging the other one.

6EC0F923-9742-4305-BD06-791B7AF772A8.jpg
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Plastic screen pops off the bottom. Or you can just soak and spray carb/brake cleaner through it.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Passes through the charcoal canister matrix and out of the bottom filter, then through the tube poking out of the pontoon. It's not sealed.

Not exactly the same but close enough:
    http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528004e5c9.gif

I had to relocate my canister and disturbed it a bit too much. Still finding little bits of charcoal inside the pontoon.
    Hmmm...FWIW, that shows purge air going UP, into the canister. I was thinking that the tank must be sealed since it is "not vented"...and the manual says it is normal for the tank to have positive pressure.
    ...but I guess there is a valve somewhere to relieve extremes.

Just looking at other possible sources for CC pressure....

It's a two way street. It shows purge air going up as it will spend most of its time doing so, otherwise your tank would collapse while driving w/ the fuel cap on.

I don't think I've ever had the "hiss" when removing the fuel cap on my DeLorean. Only modern cars with a sealed vapor system. But those are monitored for pressure by the ECU (the sensor is the part visibly missing from the DMCH fuel pump module)

But the takeaway is that factory PCV is mediocre, as evidenced by chronic issues with keeping oil on the correct side of the crankshaft seals of K-jet cars
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 02-19-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    If this component is the flame arrestor, I see no way to open it to clean it. I don’t notice any resistance when blowing into one tube while plugging the other one.

6EC0F923-9742-4305-BD06-791B7AF772A8.jpg
    Not a flame arrestor inside but a filter cartridge (condenses oil fumes). Parts Manual #102418 (not 102420). NLA

How about that, the DMC manual actually gives it a sensible name. I was using the Volvo term.

These are available anywhere that stainless steel or brass scrubbers are sold. Just stuff a couple in there.

Lol!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3