FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Start

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

No Start

Jumped Rpm relay worked only once then then plugged the rpm relay back and worked fine.
    Now doesn’t start either way
    Cranks fine just no gas!
    Thinkin it’s more electrical related
    Things to look out for?
    All Fuses are good
    Plug at pump is connected
    All the sudden
    Any Suggestions?
    Appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The weak electrical points in the fuel pump circuit are;
    A connector plug that can be reached after removing the windscreen washer reservoir (gets corroded)
    The plug and harness at the fuel pump (water gets into the cover boot and rots the connections on the pump)
    The inertia switch (make sure the recall was done and it is hooked up correctly)
    The RPM relay fails
    The #7 fuse melts out of the fuse block

The quickest and easiest test is to just power and ground the pump directly from the battery. If that gets the pump to run then you know it is electrical. If it doesn't, the pump is bad. If the pump runs but you still can't get the motor running because of no fuel, there is a problem inside the tank.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

David T's guidance it on the money.

And there is an opposite way to verify it is a fuel delivery problem: See if it will fire up when you give it a spray of starting fluid into the metering unit (pull off the air filter box to access it) while holding the air meter plate down a bit. If it runs for a few seconds on starting fluid then you know you have ignition and need to diagnose the fuel/air supply issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post

The quickest and easiest test is to just power and ground the pump directly from the battery. If that gets the pump to run then you know it is electrical. If it doesn't, the pump is bad. If the pump runs but you still can't get the motor running because of no fuel, there is a problem inside the tank.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Just today After unloading from my trailer the car started up just fine and taillights now work.
    Earlier when I unloaded for the weekend on Fri. the taillights quite working they work now.
    Inertia switch -what update?
    #7 fuse is good all are
    Rpm relay seems fine working
    I’ll check the pump
    Any ideas I’m thinking a loose connections somewhere?
    Once I fix this I think I’m gonna replace the whole wiring harness cause every time I fix one issue it seems to be two more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
    Just today After unloading from my trailer the car started up just fine and taillights now work.
    Earlier when I unloaded for the weekend on Fri. the taillights quite working they work now.
    Inertia switch -what update?
    #7 fuse is good all are
    Rpm relay seems fine working
    I’ll check the pump
    Any ideas I’m thinking a loose connections somewhere?
    Once I fix this I think I’m gonna replace the whole wiring harness cause every time I fix one issue it seems to be two more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock RPM relays do become intermittent due to broken solder joints.

The taillights working intermittent is probably a different problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Inertia switch recall explained here: https://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/SC-06-7.82.html

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? There is a lockout feature on the automatics that will prevent you from starting the car if you aren't all the way up into PARK. And it's only a small amount the gear shifter needs to be down for it to lock out the fuel pump. Like about the width of your wallet if you leave it resting there and it is just slightly stopping the shifter from going all the way up.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

No Start

It’s a manual transmission
    #7 Fuse is good
    Fuel pump connections are solid
    Fuel pump is working
    Car starts up just fine
    Interia switch is operating normally not sure if it’s updated but vin is very very late 83’
    Guess I’ll see if it does it again and then do some more trouble shooting but still scratching my head

Last edited by FLYBOY; 02-25-2020 at 12:45 AM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

A possibility for you taillight issues, those bulkhead connectors are shit in my opinion. They gave me nothing but random electrical problems with the engine and many problems with the taillights working/not working depending on the day. They were corroded and not making good contact, I tried cleaning them and bending the female side closed a little so they'd make a better connection which did work for a while. A missing coil cover I believe is a big contributor to having problems with those connectors and I have no idea how long my car did not have one installed prior to my ownership - I had to buy one to put on.
    Last edited by dn010; 02-25-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    A possibility for you taillight issues, those bulkhead connectors are shit in my opinion. They gave me nothing but random electrical problems with the engine and many problems with the taillights working/not working depending on the day. They were corroded and not making good contact, I tried cleaning them and bending the female side closed a little so they'd make a better connection which did work for a while. A missing coil cover I believe is a big contributor to having problems with those connectors and I have no idea how long my car did not have one installed prior to my ownership - I had to buy one to put on.
    +1
    I agree with all he said. I went to extreme and crimped new pins on most every one of the bulkheads.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I got updated taillight boards and checked the connections both stopped and started working at the same time so probably main connection point it’s always been garaged and I do have a stainless steel ignition cover
    Right now everything is fine so time will tell?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast