FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3.0 EFI Swap with MS3 Pro

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    You will need EDIS6.

2.8 PRV is odd fire with traditional distributor. 3.0 PRV is even fire without traditional distributor.
    If you get a 1989 Eagle Premier engine, you might get one with a distributor. At least the one I got had one, which I then removed in favor of EDIS6. Admittedly, I have no idea how that distributor setup worked, if it was purely mechanical or if it had an ECU like the 2.8L DeLorean does, in which case it doesn't really matter and you'll need EDIS6 anyway. I got the impression that later 3.0L engines did not have a distributor, but I may simply be half-remembering some wrong information.

That said, EDIS6 is pretty easy to get working (in retrospect, anyway), so I'd go with that, but I also understand wanting to do the conversion one step at a time.

-- Joe

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    If you get a 1989 Eagle Premier engine, you might get one with a distributor. At least the one I got had one, which I then removed in favor of EDIS6. Admittedly, I have no idea how that distributor setup worked, if it was purely mechanical or if it had an ECU like the 2.8L DeLorean does, in which case it doesn't really matter and you'll need EDIS6 anyway. I got the impression that later 3.0L engines did not have a distributor, but I may simply be half-remembering some wrong information.

That said, EDIS6 is pretty easy to get working (in retrospect, anyway), so I'd go with that, but I also understand wanting to do the conversion one step at a time.

-- Joe
    I got an early engine. That distributor is a “dumb” distributor with no advance. It relies on factory eagle ecu which is not worth anyone’s time.

Now you could retrofit a traditional distributor to that port like Bill did on dmctoday, but that’s too much redneck for me lol.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I got an early engine. That distributor is a “dumb” distributor with no advance. It relies on factory eagle ecu which is not worth anyone’s time.

Now you could retrofit a traditional distributor to that port like Bill did on dmctoday, but that’s too much redneck for me lol.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I didn't notice the lack of advance when I removed mine, since it was just another part that had to come off. I'm good with EDIS6.

-- Joe

This is the actual engine, looks like it's without the distributor s-l1600 (1).jpg

It's coming out of a 1988 Eagle Premier.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

As said, no year of 3.0 has a useful distributor, even if it has one bolted to the timing cover. so just get one with low miles and good compression.
    You will need to use EDIS.

You cannot use EDIS with a 2.8 as its oddfire.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

3C0CD887-558D-4B07-B608-DF2AAC7B5403.jpg

Circled in red is the useless dumb distributor. You’ll need to cap that hole.

Looks like a nice engine unlike the one I bought. Mine looked like it was on a shelf since the 90s. Pitted liners, stuck lifters, etc. It is a nightmare.

By time it comes together, I’ll need to find a solution for the crank sensor...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3