FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird Issue Programming Dave's Dome Relay

My VIN:    Early

Weird Issue Programming Dave's Dome Relay

I can easily put the unit into programming mode, however, I am having trouble reprogramming the dim timer with the key on trick.

I have verified that the relay gets power at pin 87 during key on. No matter what I do, the unit will only go into the normal programming mode.

Another issue I have is if I flip the dome light to the on position and flip it off before 5 seconds, the relay will enter programming mode. Is this normal?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I had similar issues programming the time delay. I wanted 5 or 6 seconds instead of the pre programmed 20 seconds. It never wanted to save my programming. I can't remember exactly what I did but I think it was a small deviation from Dave's instructions like not turning the key off after programming and instead I would release the glove box button and turn the key off at the same time.

It's also possible you may have the wrong LED lamps installed. His only works with LEDs that do not have switching regulators. Superbright leds will not work (and neither would my LEDs I got from DMCH 11 years ago). I went to Advance and bought 3 different kinds, found the type that works, and took the others back.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-03-2020 at 05:58 AM.

My VIN:    03572

I have not made any changes to the dome unit in a long time. Let me know what revision number you have. There has only been the first rev A board with a revision number labeled on one side of the unit and the rev B board with the latest revision number labeled as B2.

I intended on the user waiting after doing a program mode change but let me know exactly what you are doing and I will test the same way.

I remember one user had a problem with one LED bulb in the glove box light but found another one that would work for him. He then sent me one of the good LED glove box lights so I'm also running that one in my car. But I don't think I ever tried changing the timeout in my car.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My board shows "B" on the bottom.

Glove box lamp is still incandescent, and I’ve also tested incandescents in the dome lights with no difference.

Below is video with descriptions of issues.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

What is that clicking sound when you have the key turned on?

It was my intent that you have the dome lights set to auto and use the glove box light to enter programming mode. I will have to check if switching the dome light from off to on messes up my logic in the dome unit.

Make sure you are not running anything on the purple wiring for any extra electronics. I had one customer use that purple power wire that is on the bulkhead connector to the diagnostic plug for his engine ECU power.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    What is that clicking sound when you have the key turned on?

It was my intent that you have the dome lights set to auto and use the glove box light to enter programming mode. I will have to check if switching the dome light from off to on messes up my logic in the dome unit.

Make sure you are not running anything on the purple wiring for any extra electronics. I had one customer use that purple power wire that is on the bulkhead connector to the diagnostic plug for his engine ECU power.
    Clicking noise is the Dakota digital fan controller in fail safe mode. There is no engine in the car, so it doesn't see the sensor.

I'll have to double check the wiring for the purple wires. I am extremely sure I left those wires for the lighting circuits, but it's been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Clicking noise is the Dakota digital fan controller in fail safe mode. There is no engine in the car, so it doesn't see the sensor.

I'll have to double check the wiring for the purple wires. I am extremely sure I left those wires for the lighting circuits, but it's been awhile.
    It may be the dome unit is seeing a power glitch from your fan controller. Try disabling it and see if the programming problem goes away.
    Dave M vin 03572

No change.

Purple wires are isolated for dome only as expected.

I just followed the instructions but I should have said in the instructions that the dome lights should be the auto position. Otherwise you can not see the one second flashes to count your timing. Also step 2 says to keep the glove box switch down (pressed) which you have to keep doing until your done. So your other hand turns the key on and off still while holding down the glove box light.

I set mine to 10 seconds, worked and set it back to 20 seconds and that worked.

To enter the program mode for changing the dome light delay time.

1) Sit in the passenger seat with the doors closed. Hood and engine covers must also be
    closed. (All lights and ignition key must be off)
    2) Open the glove box and before 5 seconds elapse, press and hold the glove box switch
    down.
    3) Turn the ignition key to on. The dome light will start flashing at one second intervals.
    Using the flashing dome light, count how many seconds you want to program the new delay
    time to be. When you turn the key to off, that new time will be saved.

You can set any time from 1 to 255 seconds.

I guess you could close the glove box rather than hold the switch down.
    Dave M vin 03572

Dome Lights are in auto position when I try to reprogram time.

Also, does yours go into program mode if you turn the dome on, wait 2 seconds, and put it back to auto? Mine does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast