FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: water pump pulley

water pump pulley

Well, this is the second time, if not more that the pulley on the water pump has moved on the shaft. From what I have seen this is supposed to be a pressed on Pulley. So what are the options to resolve this if there is one? I do have another water pump with pulley on it, (brand new) it appears the one on the shelf has a collar on the shaft, where as the one on the car does not. I am guessing swapping the water pumps is the answer but if there is any other options I would be greatful to hear them.

Thank you.

Press-on pulley shouldn't be reused, otherwise they tend to walk off the shaft. You might get away with using a sleeve, but new ones are readily available. You can't press on a new pulley without removing the water pump. At that point you might as well install a new one or get it professionally rebuilt.

My VIN:    16409

After hearing similar issues from other owner I would not use a press on pulley. Bolt on pulleys are the way to go. You can get the bolt on pulley from DeLorean Go and a Volvo water pump from RockAuto. The pulley is reusable and can be swapped over the next time you need to replace the water pump.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/alumin...mp-pulley.html
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    After hearing similar issues from other owner I would not use a press on pulley. Bolt on pulleys are the way to go. You can get the bolt on pulley from DeLorean Go and a Volvo water pump from RockAuto. The pulley is reusable and can be swapped over the next time you need to replace the water pump.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/alumin...mp-pulley.html
    Thanks for the responses, I am not sure if pulley was reused as when i got the motor back it was all assembled. I do have an entire brand new waterpump with the pulley on. I am going to pull the one thats on there and replace with the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I am not sure if pulley was reused as when i got the motor back it was all assembled. I do have an entire brand new waterpump with the pulley on. I am going to pull the one thats on there and replace with the one I have.
    Happy to report the waterpump swap was succesful, and in the process located a troublesome leak, the heads. Retorqued the heads as the motor was rebuilt. This solved the leaks, and found that the intake bolts where not very tight so hence an air leak. So back together and no leaks!! Now the headache is the hot start issue. Starts great cold, runs fairly decent, set the timing, and the idle is a little high. I am going to attempt to do the dwell to tune the CO in. What other options are there for setting the idle??

Happy to report the waterpump swap was succesful, and in the process located a troublesome leak, the heads. Retorqued the heads as the motor was rebuilt. This solved the leaks, and found that the intake bolts where not very tight so hence an air leak. So back together and no leaks!! Now the headache is the hot start issue. Starts great cold, runs fairly decent, set the timing, and the idle is a little high. I am going to attempt to do the dwell to tune the CO in. What other options are there for setting the idle??
    On the high idle, your throttle plates might not be closed.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

What other options are there for setting the idle??
    There are none. The idle is controlled automatically.
    If the high idle is a new symptom, suspect a vacuum leak too. (The system adds fuel to compensate for extra air...)

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The CO may have been adjusted to compensate for the air leak that is now fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1

There are none. The idle is controlled automatically.
    If the high idle is a new symptom, suspect a vacuum leak too. (The system adds fuel to compensate for extra air...)
    Ok, thanks, so if the timing is set and I get the dwell reading where it should be then the idle should set it self so to speak? As long as the throttle plates are returning.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ok, thanks, so if the timing is set and I get the dwell reading where it should be then the idle should set it self so to speak? As long as the throttle plates are returning.
    Yes, I.E. changing the timing, dwell setting, etc. shouldn't change the idle speed. The system will add or subtract air to force the RPM to a set value. When you check the throttle plates, make sure the idle switch is working properly. There is a sensor in the coolant pipe that tells the idle speed control system that the engine is cold also...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast