FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: water pump pulley

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yes, I.E. changing the timing, dwell setting, etc. shouldn't change the idle speed. The system will add or subtract air to force the RPM to a set value. When you check the throttle plates, make sure the idle switch is working properly. There is a sensor in the coolant pipe that tells the idle speed control system that the engine is cold also...
    Thank you, silly question. I have tried to look at pictures of different cars, and old pictures of my motor before I sent it out, and cant tell for sure the orientation of the idle speed motor. I tell myself it shouldnt matter but cant convince myslef 100%.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The ISM's electrical socket goes ~up...

My VIN:    628

Ron is correct. The ISM bracket can only be mounted one way to the bracket that is on the left side of the Intake Manifold and it bolts down at an angle (top angled toward front of car)
    2020-02-08 15.44.31.jpg
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Ron is correct. The ISM bracket can only be mounted one way to the bracket that is on the left side of the Intake Manifold and it bolts down at an angle (top angled toward front of car)
    2020-02-08 15.44.31.jpg
    Thanks, the picture is how I have it, minus the bracket that seems to have gotten lost from the time I shipped the motor out and got it back. Anyway my question was regarding the plug position. Would it make any difference if the plug for the wires was towards the firewall and not the front of the motor? If you simply turned the ISM 180 degrees in the bracket? Sorry to waste time on this, it is in correct.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

If it helps, there is an arrow on the ism motor itself if you look closely . When mounted It should point towards the cold start valve for correct orientation.

Shane
    Last edited by cis6409; 03-11-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    10270

If the airflow is reversed it will work, but strangely. You might not even notice until it's fixed, then you'll say, "oh, that is a bit better".
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    628

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Thanks, the picture is how I have it, minus the bracket that seems to have gotten lost from the time I shipped the motor out and got it back. Anyway my question was regarding the plug position. Would it make any difference if the plug for the wires was towards the firewall and not the front of the motor? If you simply turned the ISM 180 degrees in the bracket? Sorry to waste time on this, it is in correct.
    My apologies, I misunderstood... The plug should be towards the back of the car. Airflow is unidirectional so you have to make sure it goes in one way. Do not mount the ISM where the plug is furthest from you
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    My apologies, I misunderstood... The plug should be towards the back of the car. Airflow is unidirectional so you have to make sure it goes in one way. Do not mount the ISM where the plug is furthest from you
    Thank you. Do you know what the single black wire that runs along the coolant line on the Passenger side is/does, I havent jacked the car up but it appears to go to the transmission possibly. The previous owner (my brother rest his soul) spliced it in to the hot wire going to the coil, does it need power or is it a ground?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That wire is not "standard" and without knowing where it goes and what it connects to, there is no way to tell you what to do with it. Doubtful it is a ground, there would be no need to run it anywhere except to the frame. I would disconnect it and see what happens.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2