FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: starving for fuel??

starving for fuel??

Well this morning I swapped out the fuel filter, figured wouldnt hurt, redid the pipe of pain with new seal and O ring. Seemed to be good answer, upon trying to restart it acted like it was low/out of gas. Put some in just to be sure. Still didnt fix it and after a little struggle got it to stay running, and eventually smoothed out. I chalked it up to hot start issues. Then later after it sat for quite awhile I went to put it back inside, and it would fire right up and quit, over and over again like it was low/out of gas. Finally got it to start and stay running ran it down the road and back put it inside. So the question is could it be a pump issue, or the accumulater?? ALL are new The pump is a Hervey pump, and realize not all liked his stuff. I do have DMC fuel pumps but just the pumps as the original stuff was absolute junk when I removed the pump and pieces.And a new Accumulater the original sized one. Hope not the accumulater as not sure I have that many bad words left in me. Not easy with car on jack stands trying to fit under the car and manipulate that bugger in the hole. Any way which direction should I go???

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Finally got it to start and stay running ran it down the road and back put it inside.
    One guess is that the new fuel filter would load a lot of air into the fuel system. So the irregular starting/running situation immediately thereafter could be due to the air needing to be purged (via the injectors or the bypass hose back to the tank) until all of the high pressure fuel delivery lines were free of air.

It might be fine now? The evidence is that it stayed running well enough for you to drive it some distance before you garaged it.

Try just driving it again soon and see if the problems are still there?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Well this morning I swapped out the fuel filter, figured wouldnt hurt, redid the pipe of pain with new seal and O ring. Seemed to be good answer, upon trying to restart it acted like it was low/out of gas. Put some in just to be sure. Still didnt fix it and after a little struggle got it to stay running, and eventually smoothed out. I chalked it up to hot start issues. Then later after it sat for quite awhile I went to put it back inside, and it would fire right up and quit, over and over again like it was low/out of gas. Finally got it to start and stay running ran it down the road and back put it inside. So the question is could it be a pump issue, or the accumulater?? ALL are new The pump is a Hervey pump, and realize not all liked his stuff. I do have DMC fuel pumps but just the pumps as the original stuff was absolute junk when I removed the pump and pieces.And a new Accumulater the original sized one. Hope not the accumulater as not sure I have that many bad words left in me. Not easy with car on jack stands trying to fit under the car and manipulate that bugger in the hole. Any way which direction should I go???
    Sounds like it is something else to me since it dies at idle but the pump is strong enough to keep up while driving it down the road. And, usually, electric pumps get worse as they warm up, not better.
    Similarly, a bad accumulator usually causes problems when the engine is warm. And, once the engine starts, a bad accumulator wouldn't have anything to do with it dying.

Since you drove it down the road a bit, I agree that any air in the system is probably gone. I'd suggest taking it for a run long enough to get it hot (just in case ;-) and to let it clean the cylinders/plugs up. If no luck after it cools: look at the plugs, double check for vacuum leaks/routing and the basic settings (timing, CO, etc). Next would be things like the Idle Speed Motor, coolant temp sensor, WUR/CPR (CIS pressure gauge required),....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Since you had a problem with the aux pipe, my guess is either you had a bad air leak and now it's fixed or you now have a bad air leak. In both cases you changed the A/F ratio. Once you can determine you have no air leaks you may have to set the mixture adjustment.
    David Teitelbaum