FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Hervey Parts

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The fascia gaps and alignment on that car spinning around in the background are absolutely amazing. They must have put some additional work into getting it just right since the car was going to be on display. It really gives you a feel for how the cars should look without 39 years of shrinkage.
    Did the license plate bezel / surrounds come later? That display car in the clip doesn't have one.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Too bad the display and the signs are gone. As for the fit and finish on the car, you have to figure that car was hand-built to be perfect at least cosmetically for the show. And yes, the seats have wrinkles. At one of the DMA events we had a speaker and he said they had a crew that regrained the car before every event to make it perfect even if they had to work all night when they took the prototype around the country to sign up dealers. Delorean understood the car had to look perfect so it would sell itself. Also putting it on that turntable keeps you from inspecting one spot too closely or getting too close. Even the lighting and the choice of colors of the display was very purposely set up to show off the car. A lot of salesmanship behind the scenes.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Did the license plate bezel / surrounds come later? That display car in the clip doesn't have one.
    JZD's subsidiary Composite Technology Corp. got the contract for those. Since CTC was in the US it made sense to put the bezels on at the port of entry.

I've read Barrie Wills book too many times!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Hey guys,

is there any update where John Herveys parts or his shop ended up ?

OR more detailed - who sells the fantastic gas struts now that John sold ?
    Stabilus - Made in Mexiko - which slow down at the end ?

Thanks a lot,
    Elvis & 6548

My VIN:    2647

I am pretty curious myself as to what happened with inventory. Obviously John had years of knowledge on his web site as well. I have been accessing that part through archive.org

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My VIN:    1710

When I drove past Hervey's operation a couple of years ago, it was being run out of a detached 2-car garage behind his house (with a couple of parts cars sitting out front). I got the impression he ran a "just in time inventory" business; space was extremely limited. I know he was supposed to expand to a stand-alone shop, but I don't know if that came to fruition before his passing. Point being, if John used just in time inventory, he likely kept very few parts on hand. That could explain the turnaround issues he had the past several years, too.

For what it's worth, if John did have any inventory left at the time of his passing, I'd be willing to bet other DeLorean vendors have already reached out by now. I've been around the community for 20+ years... when one DeLorean vendor closes, the others come in behind the scenes and vie to buy up their inventory.
    Louie Golden

some months ago his wife was selling some parts on facebook
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    2245

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

A good portion of John's parts were for/from other vehicles or even boats that were modified to "work" on the DeLorean, with part numbers ground down so you couldn't see exactly what it was you were getting and how overpriced they were. After grinding down the part number, he'd slap a SpecialTAuto sticker over the damage. I doubt any vendor would buy up those particular parts. I'm sure any real D specific parts have sold already.
    -----Dan B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2