FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

There are a lot good threads here outlining the steps one would have to take to replace the clutch slave cylinder. I am replacing the master and the original rubber line and although the slave isn’t leaking it seems like the consensus is I should replace the slave at the same time. Although I am dreading the process can anyone point me to a thread or photo album showing photos of their experience and process of replacing the slave cylinder? Step by step instructions are always helpful but photos always help...especially when in the thick of things with frustration levels raising and patience falling. Ha! Any links to photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

A friend of mine said to use a Mityvac Brake Bleeder Kit from O’Riellys to bleed a cutch system. Not sure if it will work on a DeLorean but figured I would ask and see what people thought.

All comments welcome.

“You want to press down the clutch with the mighty vac pulling suction from the bottom of the master cup. When you press down the pedal the suction of the myghty vac will pull the air bubbles up from the line where it connects into the master

After you push the pedal down with the vac on the resevoir you will have to pull the pedal back up. Repeat thus process while watching the line coming out of the resevoir for the mighty vac with the hood open. You will know it's done when you stop seeing bubbles come up into the vac line that has the sucked brake fluid in it. you are basically pulling all the air out of the system with the vacuum pump and letting the reservoir act as an air-tight environment.“
    Last edited by Ras12; 03-20-2020 at 09:17 PM.
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

My VIN:    #4595

I found the mightyvac to be pretty useless. It kept pulling air in from around the bleed valve. Others will tell you the old school 2 man or one man bleeding processes will work but I found them very frustrating and had a tough time getting all the air out. I ended up using a pressure bleeder like the Motive ones (or you can build your own for much cheaper).

The biggest problem was figuring out what size cap I needed for attaching to the clutch fluid reservoir. Searches revealed that there was a Motive VW bleeder attachment that was supposed to be the same as ours. While there may be different reservoirs out there, I found the VW attachment was just a little too loose so I'd recommend saving your money. Instead, I found mention on here somewhere that the brake fluid bottle cap happened to be a perfect fit and in my experience it was. I used a couple of brass fittings and made my own adapter using this bottle cap and it worked very well. Under higher pressures it may leak slightly but was easily workable.

Hope this helps.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Use the pressure method, step on the pedal and open the bleeder. If you use the "One Man Bleeder" it is fast and easy once you can get it connected.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5791

I just did this myself. I only had myself to try and bleed so I had a hose from the bleeder valve going into some brake fluid. Then I just pumped the pedal while keeping the reservoir full. Seemed to work well enough when I tested it with the car in the air. My biggest issues is that I have no idea what a Delorean clutch is supposed to feel like, but I will probably still do it again using the 2 man approach. That bleeder valve is kind of a bitch to get to as far as access goes.

Only issue I am having is the adapter on top of the clutch master (the one that gets the reservoir hose) is seeping. I reused the plastic washer that was on the old one so I assume this is my issue.