FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No 1st or 2nd with automatic manually selected

No 1st or 2nd with automatic manually selected

Hello. My 83 started to show the signs of a failing computer as it was sticking in 3rd sometimes. I immediately sent the trans governor to DMCH and installed it yesterday. It shifts perfectly 1 through 3 now when in drive but when I select 1 or 2 manually with the lever it still acts like it is in drive. I double checked the linkage per the manual and it appears to be dead on. Reverse lights, park and neutral safety switch all work. I'm a VW mechanic by trade and have owned 3 DMC's over the years and pretty good with them but this one has me stumped. I've put less than 200 miles on the car since ownership after re-furbing the fuel and cooling system as it was a low mileage sitter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Dave

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

To be sure- If you stop, put it in 1st, and then accelerate, it never shifts to 2nd, correct?

Perform the adjustments in the Workshop Manual G:05:02. (D/L HERE)

Refer to the diagnostic chart in the Workshop Manual G:04:03.

Check out this link in the Resources Section- http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?35...ssion-Governor
    Post #6 shows test lights you can make to see what gear the Governor Computer is calling for to help narrow it down.

If you sent the multi-function switch with GC to the rebuilder, do you know if they tested it?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The gearshift does not always work, ie, putting it in 1st doesn't stop it from upshifting to 2nd and 3rd. If the shift computer is working, upshifting and downshifting as it should, then you are OK. Make very certain the wiring is securely fastened and not near the exhaust pipes. Check the cable adjustment as per the manual.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    To be sure- If you stop, put it in 1st, and then accelerate, it never shifts to 2nd, correcit?
    Incorrect. If placed in 1 or 2 it acts like it’s in drive and shifts all the way to third perfectly every time . I guess I never really use 1 or 2 manually but I like everything to work as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The gearshift does not always work, ie, putting it in 1st doesn't stop it from upshifting to 2nd and 3rd. If the shift computer is working, upshifting and downshifting as it should, then you are OK. Make very certain the wiring is securely fastened and not near the exhaust pipes. Check the cable adjustment as per the manual.
    It does up and downshift perfectly through all 3 but the other automatic I owned allowed 1 and 2 with the lever. Kickdown switch is working. I have it on the lift right now. The wires are tied up nicely and not near the exhaust.

I adjusted the connection at the belcrank inside the frame by the accumulator today. When it’s adjusted far enough to go into first it will no longer go into park. If you adjust it so it will go into park then it will no longer engage 1st or second.

Quote Originally Posted by Outwesty View Post
    Incorrect. If placed in 1 or 2 it acts like it’s in drive and shifts all the way to third perfectly every time . I guess I never really use 1 or 2 manually but I like everything to work as it should.
    Oops! I meant to say "always" not "never" shifted...

Since you say it acts normally in D etc., I would suspect the multi-function switch is is not passing ground to the GC board. Two of the four set of contacts in the multifunction switch could be bad, but more likely it is not getting ground to pass on. Check at the "L" shaped block (arrows below):

1st-2ndHOLD.jpg

S2(B) bypasses the GC, so I doubt there is anything wrong with the boards.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That function is called "Shift Hold" and does not work on every automatic. Whenever you do any work on the automatic you should do all of the external adjustments like the gearshift linkage and the throttle cable and check BOTH levels in the transmission.
    David Teitelbaum

FWIW, the D manual calls the functions '1ST Gear "HOLD"' and '2ND Gear "HOLD"'. Depending on the transmission, it can be a "Demand" AND/OR a "Request".
    They are requests for Deloreans. One difference being that, if you stop, put it in 2nd, and accelerate, it should go through 1st, then shift to 2nd. While in some others, it will pull away in 2nd (lowers the torque, for mud, snow, etc). [It's also used for engine braking. Most have safety overrides.]

======

I don't understand how in post 1, you said you could select 1st...and Park worked. But, adjusting it, you get one or the other.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    FWIW, the D manual calls the functions '1ST Gear "HOLD"' and '2ND Gear "HOLD"'. Depending on the transmission, it can be a "Demand" AND/OR a "Request".
    They are requests for Deloreans. One difference being that, if you stop, put it in 2nd, and accelerate, it should go through 1st, then shift to 2nd. While in some others, it will pull away in 2nd (lowers the torque, for mud, snow, etc). [It's also used for engine braking. Most have safety overrides.]

======

I don't understand how in post 1, you said you could select 1st...and Park worked. But, adjusting it, you get one or the other.
    I never drove an auto D but every other car selecting the lower gears that just prevents it shifting to a higher gear then you have selected and it will still use lower gears when necessary. It's function is mostly to reduce you burning out the brakes going down a mountain.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast