FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Frame Question

Frame Question

20200324_183216.jpgsketch-1585089459954.jpg

After getting the body off the frame, these are the only two spots that show any real concern. The one in the rear is a pretty standard repair but I was curious what I should do with the one up front. (both are driver side) The one for the LCA is pretty solid other than the metal has separated some, should I heat the sections that are separated then flatten them back out and put a weld across the edge maybe? Thoughts?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

Do you have a TIG machine? I would hammer/dolley the seams back together, clamp, and then seal it with silicon bronze filler rod. For a joint like this on a unibody chassis, you normally find seam sealer in there. The original epoxy on the frame served the same purpose.

Another advantage to using the silicon bronze is if the metal is too thin, it will drop out when you heat it up to apply the bronze. And then you know where you need to patch a new piece of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Do you have a TIG machine? I would hammer/dolley the seams back together, clamp, and then seal it with silicon bronze filler rod. For a joint like this on a unibody chassis, you normally find seam sealer in there. The original epoxy on the frame served the same purpose.

Another advantage to using the silicon bronze is if the metal is too thin, it will drop out when you heat it up to apply the bronze. And then you know where you need to patch a new piece of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The place I will be taking it to has all the equipment needed and I'm sure they will be able to come up with a way to do it properly. I was just curious and wanted some feedback so I would know what I would be walking into at the Fab shop. What your saying sounds right on the money tho. I feel pretty lucky that's all I have found. LoL
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A "proper" repair involves cutting out the rusty, rotten pieces of metal and welding in new pieces. Anything less is just covering up the rot. It's like cancer, if you don't remove it, it will eventually spread.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    A "proper" repair involves cutting out the rusty, rotten pieces of metal and welding in new pieces. Anything less is just covering up the rot. It's like cancer, if you don't remove it, it will eventually spread.
    I've got to agree with David here. There is some pretty significant just jacking between the metal plates especially in that front lower corner. The brown crunchy stuff that is sandwiched between what's left of the steel does not have any strength left to it. There could also be some hidden cracking of the steel below the surface of the epoxy further back since it has been deformed and buckled outwards.

All that rust should be removed and replaced with fresh steel. Otherwise it's just going to continue to fester and make things worse. The fact that the damage is so close to the lower control arm mount also makes it pretty serious.