FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear window trim piece and support bracket orientation help?

My VIN:    3937

Rear window trim piece and support bracket orientation help?

Just working on the car now that the weather's warmed up and my garage is inhabitable again. I was making an adjustment to my lower engine cover hinges and was thinking I would need to get at the two nuts holding those hinges to the body from inside. I managed to make the adjustment I needed to using the bolts on the cover side only, but while poking around looking at the interior trim piece under the rear window, I realized it's not positioned quite right.

It's number 1 on this parts diagram here: https://store.delorean.com/c-319-8-7...rior-trim.aspx

And a couple photos of my trim piece...

IMG_0917.jpgIMG_0918.jpgIMG_0919.jpg

If you look at the two support brackets (these things https://store.delorean.com/p-10030-s...-board-rr.aspx) you'll see that on the driver's side it is under the trim piece and the top portion sticks out, yet on the passenger side, that same top portion has gotten tucked kind of above that trim piece.

I would assume the driver's side positioning is correct and that the passenger side bracket needs to not be tucked up like it is? I think those top two portions are what the back carpeted board would clip to, right?

And is there a purpose to those slots that are in the trim piece? Or are they just air vents of some kind?

Anyone got a pic or two showing how theirs is? Dana, maybe??

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Actually I think your passenger side is correct. I could be wrong . . it's been a while. Once the back panel is in place it's holding that trim piece up.

The slots are meaningless. Just there. Probably meant as an air vent, but really too small to do much good.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3937

Thanks Dave. I know it's all pretty snug back there once the rear board is in place. Just surprised me to see one of the brackets installed different than the other. This would have been my work going back to maybe around 2012 or so. Likely had no idea what I was doing back then, or at least just made it up as I went along.

I am debating taking the side trim panels out again and the roof liners too so might wait until then to try and get this back in correctly. That rear trim piece also sits down just enough that you can see a slim space between it and the bottom edge of the rear glass. Hadn't realized that velcro strips are legit parts right on the diagram intended to keep it all in place. Velcro and plywood back there... beauty!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior