FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Deloreango fuel pump didn't make it 50 miles.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Deloreango fuel pump didn't make it 50 miles.

Last night my wife and I took the car out for it's first real world cruise after a ton of work over the winter. 30 minutes in and I heard my brand new fuel pump singing the familiar song of being hot.

It's a brand new pump from DeLoreanGo, new filter too. I also insulated the tank from the coolant lines that run down the sides and insulated the front from hot air using thermo barrier. Tonight was a mere 75-80 degrees and a relatively short cruise. If this pump gets hot under these conditions, what chance does it have when summer gets here???

To be fair, it wasn't a loud hum, but definitely loud enough to make me feel uncomfortable, changing pitch every so often too. I went and filled the tank up with my go to ethanol free gas, the owner pulled up and we ended up chatting for an hour or so. That and cool gas got me home.

Still though, this pump didn't even have 50 miles on it before it overheated on a mild night! I would love an OE pump that is as good as the Bosch units were before their quality went to pot. The new DMCH pump is out of stock but I have heard stories of that pump being troublesome as well.

Bottom line, I need a fuel pump that works and at this point I don't care if it's OE style or not. I just want it to work when ambient temps reach 150 degrees. Someone sell me a pump that works.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-29-2020 at 07:36 AM.

My VIN:    03572

This is the thread on the pump I installed. So far no problems but I have not made any long drives yet. I did do full testing of pressure and flow with great results. I also ran a very accurate fuel level sender test.

The problem with this pump is the mounting is offset from the pump itself so I had to pull the pump off it's original mount locations and rotate the pump (extra holes already exist) to make it sit directly under the tank opening.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...r-GM-fuel-pump
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Midproduction

^I've ran the same pump as Dave for 20k miles (including a cross country trip) - and it runs great. It's also significantly quieter. I also turned the baffle piece under the cover by disconnecting the two connecting rods, but I only turned it and reinserted. I didn't have to disconnect the fuel lines, so it should be pretty straight forward.

I’m running a Delphi FG0089. Picked it up on sale at a local Advanced Auto. Easy job, with a minor modification needed (removing a small plastic tab). Now, to be perfectly honest my closing plate doesn’t fit quite right....but I’m ok with that. I’ve put several thousand trouble free miles on it, including some 90+degree days stuck in traffic.

Easy install, zero problems, limited lifetime warranty, made by an OE supplier, sold by the largest aftermarket automotive supplier in the US, available locally, and if you do go on a road trip and it fails there are approx 4,000 Advanced Auto stores in the US so you’re bound to find one close by.

To complete the job you’ll need to purchase the fuel pump clamp that DMCH sells, two fuel injection hose clamps, and two fuel quick disconnects: 1/4 barb to 5/16, and 1/4 barb to 6/16, which I purchased on Amazon (the barb tip starts at 1/4 and increases to 5/16 so it fits snuggly).

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

A lot of the heat in the fuel tank is probably because 95+% of the fuel being sent to the hot engine goes straight back to the tank and continuously cycles around the engine and tank.

J

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    A lot of the heat in the fuel tank is probably because 95+% of the fuel being sent to the hot engine goes straight back to the tank and continuously cycles around the engine and tank.

J
    That's what I concluded from my testing. I've though about using a controller on the fuel pump to reduce that fuel returned to the tank. Basically it would use a pressure sensor to reduce the pump RPM when pressure gets to high. You still get returned fuel of the frequency valve.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Midproduction

I imagine it would also reduce amp draw and help with pump longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That's what I concluded from my testing. I've though about using a controller on the fuel pump to reduce that fuel returned to the tank. Basically it would use a pressure sensor to reduce the pump RPM when pressure gets to high. You still get returned fuel of the frequency valve.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Could it be a bad batch of pumps or is there something else wrong in our car? I have a DMCGo pump and just over 2k miles now. No issues.

(Edit Added)
    How's the pickup hose? That is the other derelict item in the tank that can collapse and whine. I put the one with the spring in it last time I was in there changing the pump.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Heat didn't kill that pump, not in 50 miles! You must have gotten a hold of a defective one. With many parts being manufactured in China it should not be a surprise. Even the Bosch parts are not made in Germany anymore and the quality is not what it used to be.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I’m running a Delphi FG0089. Picked it up on sale at a local Advanced Auto. Easy job, with a minor modification needed (removing a small plastic tab). Now, to be perfectly honest my closing plate doesn’t fit quite right....but I’m ok with that. I’ve put several thousand trouble free miles on it, including some 90+degree days stuck in traffic.

Easy install, zero problems, limited lifetime warranty, made by an OE supplier, sold by the largest aftermarket automotive supplier in the US, available locally, and if you do go on a road trip and it fails there are approx 4,000 Advanced Auto stores in the US so you’re bound to find one close by.

To complete the job you’ll need to purchase the fuel pump clamp that DMCH sells, two fuel injection hose clamps, and two fuel quick disconnects: 1/4 barb to 5/16, and 1/4 barb to 6/16, which I purchased on Amazon (the barb tip starts at 1/4 and increases to 5/16 so it fits snuggly).

I have the same pump and it's been great for me, too. It was also an in-stock item at Advance Auto Parts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast