FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: HVAC LED bulbs not working

HVAC LED bulbs not working

Well I finally got around to installing the HVAC led bulbs I ordered from DGo a while ago. Upon testing them prior to reinstalling the center console I discovered that none of them light up. I’m sure it’s something stupid that I’ve missed. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Well I finally got around to installing the HVAC led bulbs I ordered from DGo a while ago. Upon testing them prior to reinstalling the center console I discovered that none of them light up. I’m sure it’s something stupid that I’ve missed. Any ideas?
    Some LED's are polarity sensitive. Maybe that is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Some LED's are polarity sensitive. Maybe that is the problem
    I’m not sure how I would correct that though.

Lol I figured it out. I was testing them by turning on the headlights. However, it turns out that the entire electrical system needs to be on. I put the key in the ignition and they all came on.

Lol I figured it out. I was testing them by turning on the headlights. However, it turns out that the entire electrical system needs to be on. I put the key in the ignition and they all came on.
    Great you got it figured out. Been there done that too.
    By polarity you would remove the bulb turn it around so the bulb terminals plug in opposite from where they were.
    Not all LED's are that way but some are.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Great you got it figured out. Been there done that too.
    By polarity you would remove the bulb turn it around so the bulb terminals plug in opposite from where they were.
    Not all LED's are that way but some are.
    That wouldn’t work for these bulbs. One terminal is at the bottom of the bulb (I’m guessing that’s positive), and the other terminal is the side casing of the bulb itself.

That wouldn’t work for these bulbs. One terminal is at the bottom of the bulb (I’m guessing that’s positive), and the other terminal is the side casing of the bulb itself.
    You are right. I was not sure what type base they were. Never had mine out. Glad easy fix for ya.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Do they come on just when the headlights are on? I think the original set up was for the lights to come on when the car was running. I remember changing mine to come on with the headlights. Don't remember how I did it though.
    Shannon

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Do they come on just when the headlights are on? I think the original set up was for the lights to come on when the car was running. I remember changing mine to come on with the headlights. Don't remember how I did it though.
    It's a jumper to replace the light relay. Most people did that because the incandescent bulbs got to hot running all the time. In stock wiring when the running lights were turned on then the HVAC bulbs would dim via a resistor dropping their voltage. But that does not dim if you run LEDs in the HVAC.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Mine only come on when the external lights are on. I did this by removing one of the terminals from the ac illumination relay.