FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rear hatch/engine cover wont latch

rear hatch/engine cover wont latch

As I start to tackle various items with regard to interior, body parts I have not worrried about the hatch on the rear sitting down where it should so it will latch. When I installed the rear bumper/fascia pieces I mated it tight to the rear fenders. But with it in this position the engine cover and the rear hatch dont sit in the spot they should. I have attched a picture, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

The cover hinges have to be moved forward. Remove the rear bulkhead of the package shelf and you will see the nuts under the hinges. Loosen them and move the engine cover forward a bit.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The cover hinges have to be moved forward. Remove the rear bulkhead of the package shelf and you will see the nuts under the hinges. Loosen them and move the engine cover forward a bit.
    Thanks,didnt know they were adjustable.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There may not be enough adjustment in the mounting holes. There wasn't on mine.

In that case use a rat tail file to elongate the holes for the hinge studs in either the body or in the cover or both.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There may not be enough adjustment in the mounting holes. There wasn't on mine.

In that case use a rat tail file to elongate the holes for the hinge studs in either the body or in the cover or both.
    Thanks, I tried and there wasnt any more adjustment, I will look into the elonging of the holes.

rear hatch

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Thanks, I tried and there wasnt any more adjustment, I will look into the elonging of the holes.
    Well turns out there is more tom this story then I thought, in talking with my nephew, I mentioned the issue, and he said that he might have been the reason for this issue. Apparnetly way back when, he hit the car with the snow plow in the rear. Said it cost him a lot of paper route money at the time to fix it. So the question is I assume that there is a metal frame/shell that makes up the rear bumper assembly? And if so how would I go about straightening it out?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't see how the bumper could make the fascia be too tight against the rear cover. The fascia just caps over the bumper and a hit in the rear would make even more clearance for a replacement fascia, if anything. Wrong direction...

The fascia is attached to brackets on the rear of the quarter panels. The plow may have bent them inward, which might explain why your fascia is against the panels AND hits the cover. You would have to remove the fascia and reshape them. (PIA, trial and error ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't see how the bumper could make the fascia be too tight against the rear cover. The fascia just caps over the bumper and a hit in the rear would make even more clearance for a replacement fascia, if anything. Wrong direction...

The fascia is attached to brackets on the rear of the quarter panels. The plow may have bent them inward, which might explain why your fascia is against the panels AND hits the cover. You would have to remove the fascia and reshape them. (PIA, trial and error ;-)
    Thanks, if I put a straight edge from one side to the other there is a definite inward bow in the fascia piece. The mounting brackets on the side that hold the fascia in place are slotted, if I moved the fascia out slightly it would leave a gap between the rear fascia/bumper and the rear quarter panels. Not sure which is the lesser of the two.

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

It might still be the easiest way to fix it by moving the cover forward but if the rear facia is too far forward you do need to get it back into position.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Thanks, if I put a straight edge from one side to the other there is a definite inward bow in the fascia piece. The mounting brackets on the side that hold the fascia in place are slotted, if I moved the fascia out slightly it would leave a gap between the rear fascia/bumper and the rear quarter panels. Not sure which is the lesser of the two.
    There is supposed to be a gap between the fascia and panels.
    ...And fwiw, all of the covers I have seen that hit, hit the fascia in the middle. (Some because of similar damage and others their age/exposure).
    Look closely at some of the pics posted around for the gap...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast