FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looseness between CV joint and drive shaft

My VIN:    16795

looseness between CV joint and drive shaft

While trying to track down a soft 'howling' noise that sounds like a bad wheel bearing, I noticed that with the car in the air if I rotated the drivers side rear wheel back and forth I would get a clunking noise from the outer CV joint. I ordered a new CV joint, but when I went to install it I discovered the noise isn't internal to the old CV joint, but is from a loose fit between the inner CV joint ring and the drive shaft. The new CV joint also fits loosely and makes a similar noise.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need a new drive shaft? If a new drive shaft does anyone know of a source for just the bare drive shaft? And how much should I care? While driving the car I don't hear any strange noises other than the howling which I pretty sure is from the passenger side rear wheel bearing. At the moment I'm in the middle of removing the hub carrier to replace the bearing.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    While trying to track down a soft 'howling' noise that sounds like a bad wheel bearing, I noticed that with the car in the air if I rotated the drivers side rear wheel back and forth I would get a clunking noise from the outer CV joint. I ordered a new CV joint, but when I went to install it I discovered the noise isn't internal to the old CV joint, but is from a loose fit between the inner CV joint ring and the drive shaft. The new CV joint also fits loosely and makes a similar noise.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need a new drive shaft? If a new drive shaft does anyone know of a source for just the bare drive shaft? And how much should I care? While driving the car I don't hear any strange noises other than the howling which I pretty sure is from the passenger side rear wheel bearing. At the moment I'm in the middle of removing the hub carrier to replace the bearing.
    Hi, when you say "ring" do you mean the snap ring, and does it look like the below:

Any pictures would be helpful.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi, when you say "ring" do you mean the snap ring, and does it look like the below:

Any pictures would be helpful.
    No.

I mean the splines on the center part of the CV joint. The fit between the hole in the center of the CV joint and the drive shaft is loose. If you hold the center of the CV joint still, you can still rotate the drive shaft back and forth a bit.

No.

I mean the splines on the center part of the CV joint. The fit between the hole in the center of the CV joint and the drive shaft is loose. If you hold the center of the CV joint still, you can still rotate the drive shaft back and forth a bit.
    Oh. Yes, they should be tight.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

If a new drive shaft does anyone know of a source for just the bare drive shaft?
    I have a drive shaft without CV joints. If it comes down to the point you need a replacement, PM me.
    -----Dan B.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Oh. Yes, they should be tight.
    I wouldn't say "tight" but there should be absolutely no slop in that fit at all. It should slide onto the axle effortlessly.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I wouldn't say "tight" but there should be absolutely no slop in that fit at all. It should slide onto the axle effortlessly.
    All of the ones on the car seem to have a tiny bit of slop, with the one in question having noticeably more.

The drives shafts have 230K+ miles on them, with a few CV joint replacements along the way.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

All of the ones on the car seem to have a tiny bit of slop, with the one in question having noticeably more.

The drives shafts have 230K+ miles on them, with a few CV joint replacements along the way.
    That's pretty impressive and I'm not surprised that they are showing wear. Other than Hollers' that probably one of the highest mile cars I've heard of. You should feel pretty safe buying a couple of used axle shafts, even used CV joints, since very few will have high mileage on them.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

I don't think it's normal that splined contact moves much. The ball joints are what move when the distance changes. Is it normal high milage ones wear?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yes, what Dave said.
    Dana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast