FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Door Lock Procedure

My VIN:    Latest VIN 83

Club(s):   (DCF) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Door Lock Procedure

Doing it tomorrow then the rods inside wish me luck and any last minute advice ? cause I’m sure I’ll have questions during
    Also what do you mean by pulling down on one latch while someone pulls on the other
    Could ya explain haven’t got into it yet so kinda confused
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FLYBOY; 04-10-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
    Also what do you mean by pulling down on one latch while someone pulls on the other
    Could ya explain haven’t got into it yet so kinda confused
    Thanks
    In the latch (not lock) adjustment procedure at P:02:11, step 10 says:
    "10. Set rear latch in the closed position. With a screwdriver or similar tool, apply pressure on latch. Slowly adjust rear link until latch opens.
    Be sure bellcrank position remains unchanged."
    Before tightening the rear link's lock nut (step 11), I like to make sure they release at the exact same time. It takes several hands: one to pull down on the front latch, one for the rear latch, one to pull the handle very slowly and adjust the link.

EDIT: Good Luck!

Does anyone have page P2:11 apparently mine is missing.

I got 3 out of 4 anchor pins aligned but the last one just won’t catch. Unless I extend with 3 washers but then it hits the guide!
    Any ideas
    Once I get that I’ll check the door release then start on the adjustments inside

It can be hard to see exactly where it hits. Cleaning it all off and putting a thin layer of colored grease on the 'nail head' can help...

If it is hitting the outer circumference/brim of the nail head, move the pin in or out.
    If it is hitting the face or under the nail head, use 1 thinner/thicker washer...

======

FWIW- I noticed that, using the hybrid manual in the Resources section here and Acrobat X Pro, "P:02:11" does not show up when I search for it -- But it is there.

p0211.pdf

Door Lock Procedure

Wow got the anchor pin to align
    And started on the driver door however adjusting the rod I forgot to disconnect 1st got too excited and broke the tab on rear latch but thankfully I had a spare.

The adjustment was way off on a lot of rods almost there I believe only the front rod needs lengthening as once I push down fully on the door it opens, but it just got too late tonight.
    You guys were spot on those directions really helped me tremendously. David T. and Ron
    Thank you not there yet but progress
    As I finally fully understand it I think?
    I’ve had the Delorean since 99’ and they have never worked
    But if I can fix this I’ll absolutely love driving the car again!

The next project will be fixing the door launchers from Toby.
    I installed years ago they are not working either electrical issue, I believe. But not getting ahead of myself, just yet.
    Hopefully Tomorrow I’ll have some good news cause I’m dedicating all morning to the doors!

Last edited by FLYBOY; 04-15-2020 at 12:20 AM.

Adjusted the driver however I’m Unable to get either lock to lock
    I tried everything so frustrating the rear latch opens whether it’s locked or not.. it’s an old lock, could it be broken?
    The front locks rarely door opens fine and is aligned.
    Need some help!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I have found that on some cars no amount of adjusting would seem to work. When that happens you take the locks out, clean them and regrease them. The old grease and dirt acts like glue and nothing moves smoothy and easily.
    David Teitelbaum

Yeah David I went over that procedure backwards and forward spent bout 5 hours
    I fully understand it think the lock is dirty or bad cause it was in my box as spare
    Does the door pivot point with the adjustment nut for the handle help I noticed it effects things and where should it be?
    Maybe that is throwing things off but I tried all different combinations

Might try the other door hopefully better results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Doing one adjustment affects other adjustments. Not only will you do this many times to learn how to do it, every time you do it you get all of the adjustments closer and closer. By the time you are done you will be able to do this in a fraction of the time it took you the first time. You do need a lot of patience. One neat "trick" I learned from Rob Grady, take a large S hook and attach a small piece of cable to it with a loop to one end. Sit on the door sill facing the door, bring the door down and hook it with the cable over the door pin and the S hook into a screw hole by the latch. Now you can sit comfortably while working inside the door. BTW, if your door got tweaked it will never hold an adjustment. On one car I worked on the car was in the owner's driveway and the motor died. No problem, they just pushed the car back into the garage. Too bad they left the door open and it hit the house and got tweaked. No obvious damage but the welds broke inside and the door was "floppy". You can tell by grabbing the bottom of an open door and wiggling it side to side. Best cure is to replace the door but maybe it can be welded or glued. Anyway I couldn't get it to hold any adjustments and it never worked right. On another car the door was removed and not put back exactly right. No amount of adjustment is going to fix that till you get the door lined up just right and it isn't easy. A good reason to never remove a door unless you absolutely must. Last point. Before doing the internal door adjustments not only must you adjust the anchor pins, the struts should be in good shape and the torsion bars properly adjusted. If they are too tight they tweak the door by all of that added power on the one side. It can take a LOT of work to get the doors just right but if you are thinking of installing the door launchers you MUST be finicky and get it working perfectly. The doors are a signature element of the Delorean and they should work perfectly. Once you get the doors to open, close, lock and unlock right you can move on to the Central Locking System. A whole other topic. Then you can do the door launchers.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
    Does the door pivot point with the adjustment nut for the handle help I noticed it effects things and where should it be?
    If you mean the release handle control cable lock nut, you don't want to move it after setting the latches...

P.S. I forgot that I posted the lock procedure already, so I deleted my previous post.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast