FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Megasquirt conversion: VIN00910

My VIN:    2706

"Well, I need to thank powerline84 because his suggestion worked!"

Glad I could help. Just paying it forward from all the guys who helped me.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I must bring this up again as it continually baffles me.
    Why are people buying MS3x boxes to run fuel only batch firing setups. It is such a waste of a MS3

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I must bring this up again as it continually baffles me.
    Why are people buying MS3x boxes to run fuel only batch firing setups. It is such a waste of a MS3
    I get the feeling it is more of a "testing the waters" thing with a few toes in. Gives room for improvement down the road. In most cases the installer gets it running fuel only and then updates it from there. I could be wrong and it might be a case of people just copying what others buy with no intention of further updates.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10270

It does make certain things easier. A base MS2/3 runs short of inputs & outputs. 3X gives you these options more readily without repurposing status LEDs or other solder solutions most people probably wouldn't be comfortable with:

-VSS input
    -AC control (1 in and 1 out)
    -Check engine light

A companion BCM would probably better suit these goals, but I don't think any such thing exists yet.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    2706

I plan on expanding mine. I am not staying fuel only
    There's your answer lol.

My VIN:    00910

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    I get the feeling it is more of a "testing the waters" thing with a few toes in. Gives room for improvement down the road. In most cases the installer gets it running fuel only and then updates it from there.
    This is the correct answer. I've already moved the cooling fans and a/c control to the MS and rigged up an output to use the Lambda light as a "check engine" light.

I bought the MS3X because of the expandability it offers. I can do anything I want to in the future without much headache. It has already completely changed the car in a positive way. I'm enjoying learning as I go. I haven't had this much fun in the garage in, well, a very long time.
    Last edited by ramblinmike; 04-22-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    This is the correct answer. I've already moved the cooling fans and a/c control to the MS and rigged up an output to use the Lambda light as a "check engine" light.

I bought the MS3X because of the expandability it offers. I can do anything I want to in the future without much headache. It has already completely changed the car in a positive way. I'm enjoying learning as I go. I haven't had this much fun in the garage in, well, a very long time.
    I have the radiator fans, ac control, and fuel table switching setup with just a microsquirt

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have the radiator fans, ac control, and fuel table switching setup with just a microsquirt
    That's awesome! I have no idea what I'm doing, so I went with what I thought would be easiest for me to use. I'm hoping to go ignition here before too long, hopefully with EDIS or something similar.

I'm having more fun with this thing than I can put into words. I've been driving the car at every opportunity for any pathetic reason I can muster. Josh, you should know that your LS4/Subaru conversion was what pushed me over the edge to start this MegaSquirt thing to begin with.

I stopped making excuses for what was annoying me about the car and decided to change it for the better.

I'm wanting to go ignition control next, and I'd like to try and lose the distributor all together when I do this. In preparation, I got a PRV distributor off of eBay to play with.
    IMG_3329.jpg

After some disassembly and cleaning
    IMG_4934.jpg

What have you guys done for a cam signal? I've seen the optical conversions in another thread but I don't think I need anything with that kind of resolution. From what I've read I think I can get by with a single tooth setup and a trigger wheel on the crank pulley. Does anyone have pictures with what they've done for a single tooth setup using the stock distributor? I've read descriptions about what has been done but I was wondering if anyone had some pics they'd care to share. Thanks, appreciate the help so far!

My VIN:    10270

Gutted distributor and riveted / jbwelded (hell yeah jbweld) a single tooth on to the original pole piece.

CMP - Camshaft Position Sensor.jpg

The single tooth metal was an old pinball machine bracket. I tried to use as many old pinball machine parts as possible during my conversion LOL

More pics
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast