FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front directional dont work

front directional dont work

Well, the adventure continues, put the new(rebuilt ) alternator in, charging like a champ, as well as new starter. My headache currently which is preventing me from getting it inspected, is the front directionals dont work, I replaced the rear circuit board and both back lights all work. The front running lights work but not the directional, nor the 4 way flashers. I am guessing that if the marker light comes on then the ground should be good. Is there another part of this puzzle that I can check, or where do I start with getting them to work. I did check the bulbs.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

front directional dont work

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Well, the adventure continues, put the new(rebuilt ) alternator in, charging like a champ, as well as new starter. My headache currently which is preventing me from getting it inspected, is the front directionals dont work, I replaced the rear circuit board and both back lights all work. The front running lights work but not the directional, nor the 4 way flashers. I am guessing that if the marker light comes on then the ground should be good. Is there another part of this puzzle that I can check, or where do I start with getting them to work. I did check the bulbs.
    Just to clarify. Your rear signals flash with Hazard and Left/ Right turn w/ Key in Run position?

What about the turn indicators?

Conventional or LED bulbs up front?
    Last edited by DMC5180; 04-05-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If the bulbs are good my first guess is the relay is either bad or the LEDs do not pull enough current to make the relay work right.

Edit, got ahead of myself. I read the last response and just assumed the op had LED bulbs as part of the improvement. Still, check the relay.

My VIN:    3937

That sounds like what happens when you are running LED's for those front bulbs, but haven't changed out the flasher relay to one compatible with LED's. Hence Dennis' question about what kind of bulbs and what Michael said about the current draw.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10678-fl...-for-leds.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Just to clarify. Your rear signals flash with Hazard and Left/ Right turn w/ Key in Run position?

What about the turn indicators?

Conventional or LED bulbs up front?
    The left/right turn signals work with the key in run position. and conventional bulbs, did not switch to LED. The hazard work in the rear as well. The running lights work in the front, just not the turn or the hazard.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The left/right turn signals work with the key in run position. and conventional bulbs, did not switch to LED. The hazard work in the rear as well. The running lights work in the front, just not the turn or the hazard.
    Make sure both bulbs are not bad. I'm not sure but the fronts may be dual filament. The filament for the brights may be broke but the running filament may be working.

If the bulbs are good, relay working, fuses good, then it's time to break out the wiring diagram and multimeter and start tracing back.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-06-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I am guessing that if the marker light comes on then the ground should be good.
    Just a guess since a front and back indicator is fed by the same circuit:

Look at the ground wire(s) going to the side marker lamp(s) to see if the wig wag mod has been performed. (The black wire will be cut and spliced to the Green/Red indicator wire on the left side, and Green/White on the right side).
    With this mod, the side marker is grounded through the the indicator feed...

...check for ground in the indicator socket(s).

==================

"It's ALWAYS the grounds!"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The front lights are prone to water intrusion and corrosion. It is also possible you have the wrong bulbs in them.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

May seem strange, but make sure the front bulbs are 1157. Not 1156.
    Since the rear lights flash, that rules out a flasher problem. It would be really weird if you had two bad bulbs, but hey some people do win the lottery on occasion . Since, you say the park lights work, they share the same ground as the signal through the socket body. The Wig Wag mod Ron mentions is possible, but a very rare mod. Also make sure the socket contacts are clean. Any presence of corrosion can cause issues.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Makes sense but if it's two bad bulbs after checking them, or, has 1156 bulbs that don't make the the indicators and markers come on together, I'd really like you to pick a lottery number for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast