FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Painting engine parts

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Use SEM trim black for underbody and engine cover. Use SEM 1k clear to protect it. Get a can of flat clear or semi gloss clear depending on your taste.
    Most flat black paint seems to come out with the same finish. So why spend the extra money on a brand name.

I do however get the spray cans with the larger paint sprayer. Those spray much better and I pop the cap off and stick it on my flux cleaner can to clean it after I spray anything.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Most flat black paint seems to come out with the same finish. So why spend the extra money on a brand name.

I do however get the spray cans with the larger paint sprayer. Those spray much better and I pop the cap off and stick it on my flux cleaner can to clean it after I spray anything.
    I usually don't hesitate to spend the extra $$ on my car. It's up to the owner but I have sprayed a LOT of paint in my lifetime and SEM produces the best finish from a can that I have ever seen(actually from a can or gun) especially when you top coat it with the 1k clear that I highly recommend. The spray tip has a nice flat fan pattern vs the round that most cheap paints have. It's almost impossible to mess up and it doesn't chalk up after a year even if you leave the top coat off, again I recommend the clear coat.

With all that said, a can of trim black (which is larger than your average can) is about 15 bucks and another 15 for the clear. You could do all the visible black of your car for a hundred dollar bill and the job would look professional and last with minimal skill required.

Also, if you have a gun, you can get trim black in a can. I bought a quart for 50 bucks and that was enough to do a Chevy Avalanche truck with the side cladding. 50% of that truck was SEM. Spray cans are easier, but if you have the means, the ready to spray stuff is by far more economical.

20200325_135628.jpg20200325_135612.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 05-09-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    I would never hijack a thread but I think we are on the topic of painting. I finally have bought a house with an enclosed garage so I am going to do more painting to the DeLorean. Thanks to Michael I will pick up some Rustoleum metallic satin silver from ACE hardware for engine parts and while I am there will pick up a couple of cans of Rustoleum flat black.
    Painting the engine compartment and the door jams and probably the engine cover. But the best part is I am using Dupli Color flat clear coat on top of that to make it last.
    I used it in the trunk and it looks great and makes the flat black durable and scratch resistant.
    Also have one more wheel to hand sand and paint with Eastwood argent silver and will clear coat with the same Dupli Color flat clear I used on the engine compartment side walls and door jams.
    Using a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun for $9.99 and my trusty 3 gallon compressor for $39.
    I should also mention the Rustoleum paint likes to be sprayed in light mist coats spaced about 3-5 min apart. It takes awhile to flash and since it is a semi matt sheen, we are not worried about finish as much as we are about getting too much paint on at once (which is very east to do with this stuff). About 3-4 very light dust coats until the color is on, then a final pass slightly heavier to even out the finish but not heavy enough to be considered a "wet pass". Let that dry for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I used Rustoleum paint on my valve covers about 5 or 6 years ago and it held up very well. I gave them a refresh with last month's valve adjustment but to be honest they looked pretty good. I will do the intake and horns if I ever remove them. This is what I used, but the color I used was "Satin Nickel".
    https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24.../dp/B0016HLAGE

Attachment 63309
    Attachment 63310
    Attachment 63311
    This is absolutely a gorgeous spotless engine paint/clean work

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is absolutely a gorgeous spotless engine paint/clean work
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2