FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coolant evacuation tool

My VIN:    5625

Coolant evacuation tool

I’m looking to do a coolant flush on the car and have heard some good things about a coolant evacuation tool. Has anyone used one on a D? If so, when you use one, does that eliminate the need for burping the air out? Also will such a tool eliminate the need for engine (thermostat nipple) coolant bleeders & radiator bleeder kits?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BW...ws_feature_div
    Attached Images
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It works great BUT. You have to drain as much of the old coolant as you can first and you need a big enough air compressor to pull enough air out. It doesn't eliminate bleeding the air out but it takes most of it out.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It works great BUT. You have to drain as much of the old coolant as you can first and you need a big enough air compressor to pull enough air out. It doesn't eliminate bleeding the air out but it takes most of it out.
    ok, so I would still benefit from having a engine coolant bleeder setup?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

No Delorean needs an auto bleeder. If you do need it (you have to constantly bleed out air) it means you have a leak. Once the system is properly bled you should never have to do it again unless you flush the system again or you have leaks and you must add coolant.
    David Teitelbaum

Does anyone else have any opinions about using a coolant evacuation tool? And if I would even need or desire an engine coolant bleeder?

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

No, the coolant evacuation tool will not eliminate the need to bleed the coolant system.

This is what I'd recommend:
    DPI Self Bleed Kit

I agree that no additional bleeder valves are needed, and I'd recommend against any kit with automatic bleeder valves, like Hervey used to sell. A properly sealed system can be bled without modification. However, the self-bleed mod makes bleeding the system easy, and can help lower coolant temps.
    Last edited by Ethan Rode; 04-16-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    No, the coolant evacuation tool will not eliminate the need to bleed the coolant system.

This is what I'd recommend:
    DPI Self Bleed Kit

I agree that no additional bleeder valves are needed, and I'd recommend against any kit with automatic bleeder valves, like Hervey used to sell. A properly sealed system can be bled without modification. However, the self-bleed mod makes bleeding the system easy, and can help lower coolant temps.
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Jiffy Lube - Coolant Flush

I was at a Cars and Coffee this past summer and a fellow Delorean owner said he took his car to Jiffy Lube and they performed a coolant flush and refresh with new fluid. It was apparently done with a machine that sucks out all the coolant and then pumps in new coolant. I used Jiffy Lube on my 96 Impala SS and 92 GMC Typhoon and it worked well. Not sure about our Deloreans and how they would fair with this process so I thought I would ask to see what people’s thoughts are on this service for our cars.

Thanks!

https://jiffylubespecials.com/servic...oolant-service
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The webpage is ambiguous about the technique they use. Anybody can claim they "flush" and fill.

I see no reference to the sucking-out machine you mention so it's hard to comment about its performance.

Getting this J Lube service done is better than not doing it at all. Assuming they bleed it after the refill. Entirely. At both ends. And they use correct coolant and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    I was at a Cars and Coffee this past summer and a fellow Delorean owner said he took his car to Jiffy Lube and they performed a coolant flush and refresh with new fluid. It was apparently done with a machine that sucks out all the coolant and then pumps in new coolant. I used Jiffy Lube on my 96 Impala SS and 92 GMC Typhoon and it worked well. Not sure about our Deloreans and how they would fair with this process so I thought I would ask to see what people’s thoughts are on this service for our cars.

Thanks!

https://jiffylubespecials.com/servic...oolant-service
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

The flush machine works like the ones they use for the automatic transmission and the power steering. IMHO I don't think it is a complete flush but it can do most of it. Better than not doing anything but I still prefer to dump the old stuff as completely as I can and then refill with fresh. Not as fast as those flush machines but I believe more through. The evacuation tool is only to take all of the air out and create a vacuum so when you fill with coolant you get it all in and there is very little air left to bleed out. You do have to dump all of the coolant out first. The evacuation tool DOES NOT remove the coolant.
    Last edited by David T; 04-20-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast