FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DMCH Performance Headlight Upgrade (CIBIE' E2 Spec)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

DMCH Performance Headlight Upgrade (CIBIE' E2 Spec)

I finally got a chance to ride in a Delorean at night with the CIBIE' headlight upgrade package w/Silverstar Bulbs. All I could say was WOW! I was totally blown away at how well the Low beams lit up the road and Ditches. ( think deer). He hit the High beams and everything lit up down the road strong 1/4 mile and more. It felt like stadium lighting.

If I didn't already have HID's I would absolutely install the CIBIE's.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Neat! Do you know if this is a plug-and-play update, or are some modifications necessary?

My VIN:    5180

It's plug-N-play as far as I know. It uses H4 bulbs for High/Lo in the outer housing and H1 for High in the inner Housing. It likely comes with short harness adapters to adapt the Factory harness. Note: H4 bulbs have the Ground and High Terminals on opposite sides to the OEM bulb, You either have to reposition the wires in the factory connector or use the conversion adapters. I think there may be provisions for DRL a option. That would require a simple wire mod to run them with the park lights on assuming they are there. The Cibie' housings are available w/wo the DRL option. I'm not sure which version DMCH Stocks.

They come with Standard Halogen Bulbs. If you want Silverstars that's an extra cost to you locally. $80-$100 for all 4 bulbs if you went with Silverstar Ultras.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    It's plug-N-play as far as I know. It uses H4 bulbs for High/Lo in the outer housing and H1 for High in the inner Housing. It likely comes with short harness adapters to adapt the Factory harness. .
    THey come with housings, bulbs, and adapter harnesses. They are not the DRL (daytime running light) type with the extra small bulb on the side.

With some creativity you could wire it for DRLs but that goes for any headlight setup. But since I personally think DRLs are the work of the devil I've never tried it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    But since I personally think DRLs are the work of the devil I've never tried it.
    Agree. My daily driver has melted plastic lens. Both front amber DRLs. They did not plan on getting stuck in traffic in the summer time.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

For me, the sealed beam Silverstars work just fine and maintain the 80's look without sacrificing nighttime visibility.

Still pricey, ($25 each) but collectively less expensive than the DMCH upgrade. Personally, I hate the H4 type Silverstars, it has been my experience that they have an extremely short lifespan (4-6 months or so on a daily driver). The sealed beam variety don't seem to suffer the same fate.

Though, that could be that they don't get much use, so of course YMMV.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

I agree that the sealed beam Silverstars are a good in-between compromise at a price point, but I've also found that their life is short compared to "standard" bulbs.

I find it pretty amazing that most cars I see still have 30-year-old original bulbs that light up, although they are usually pretty dim.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

I love the upgraded lights. They're wonderful and they work extremely well. They're worlds better than the original Sylvania, which I recently installed in my '76 Elodrado.

My VIN:    3390

I put my kit in a few weeks ago, finally got all the headlights adjusted for driving, I can say from night driving, you get a much better viewing distance and angle. Very easy install. I ended up taking out the headlight mounts and cleaned them up and replaced bolts/screws and springs.

My VIN:    05141

anyone has pictures?
    Also available in Europe at DMC?

John

Steering with power