FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: DMC Houston Fuel pump failure.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Try replacing the fuel cap.

Oh yeah, I did that too a few years back but maybe it's time for a new one.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    You sir are playing with fire. I would hate to see a stock internal prv go lean under load over 160kpa. If you question it at all in your application it should be gone.
    Well.. at least I do have AFR safety engaged with a pretty tight leash.

Also have an NOS fuel gauge on loan so I can design/program my own take on an off the shelf module.

Maybe I got a Wednesday pump LOL
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    1086

Hi, guys,
    this discussion about a broken houston fuel pump made me think a lot, because i have this system too and i don't know exactly how old it is. so far it worked fine - knock on wood :-)
    i make regular trips and we also go on vacation with the delorean. next year we want to go to belfast for our 40th anniversary meeting.
    has anyone ever used the replacement pump 107085 REPLACEMENT FUEL PUMP FOR 107000 and the special tool to save this unit. the tool has a deposit of 50 dollars. i would have to buy it additionally.
    you will need additional filters and new fuel lines too.
    I'm thinking about buying it as a replacement for the road.
    alternatively i would choose the deplphi fg0089 and have to buy a new original tank fuel sender or the new electronics from dave to get the gauge working.
    if someone has a better and simple idea or alternative please let me know.
    stay healthy and take care
    greetings from germany
    andi

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by andi1086 View Post
    Hi, guys,
    this discussion about a broken houston fuel pump made me think a lot, because i have this system too and i don't know exactly how old it is. so far it worked fine - knock on wood :-)
    i make regular trips and we also go on vacation with the delorean. next year we want to go to belfast for our 40th anniversary meeting.
    has anyone ever used the replacement pump 107085 REPLACEMENT FUEL PUMP FOR 107000 and the special tool to save this unit. the tool has a deposit of 50 dollars. i would have to buy it additionally.
    you will need additional filters and new fuel lines too.
    I'm thinking about buying it as a replacement for the road.
    alternatively i would choose the deplphi fg0089 and have to buy a new original tank fuel sender or the new electronics from dave to get the gauge working.
    if someone has a better and simple idea or alternative please let me know.
    stay healthy and take care
    greetings from germany
    andi
    Hi. My understanding is that is a good replacement pump for the unit. Very importantly, it has the correct high flow rate. Be sure to get the filter (107643) unless it is included with the pump.

The pliers are meant to be returned to DMC as a borrowing program. That's why there is a core charge. You can ask about a direct purchase, or perhaps purchase a set elsewhere.

What I would do if you are concerned about failure of the module, is, on let's say an annual or biennial basis, remove the module, take the bottom cover off, and check / replace the filter. It is $8. You can also check that the electrical connector is still securely fastened to the pump module and any signs of heating/melting like happens on fuse 7.

In my opinion, the majority of these failure stories are caused by a clogged filter, incorrect application, or some other issue (like our common electrical issues).

Although this is an adapted GM module, the DMC version is a unique application to the DeLorean. The pump flow rates are designed for K-Jet, for example, it is a higher flow rate. If it is clogged or installed in an application that has a lower return rate, the pump fails either mechanically or electrically (fluid dynamics).

Because of the high flow rate, the fact that all pumps need surrounding fuel to cool them, and the characteristic fuel heating problem in our cars, I try to maintain as full of a tank as possible.

I have this module, and the regular inspection of the filter, and tank level monitoring is my maintenance program/fail safe.

I know that this is a hot topic in the community, but these are my thoughts and my experience.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4